How to set status when importing Jira Issues

Paul Fink October 13, 2014

I am importing ~5,000 issues from a custom application to Jira.

I am using the REST API and its going well.

Now I’m addressing setting the issue status. Is there a way to force an issue to have a status without going through the workflow transitions?

These are issues from an internal bug tracking system so some may be open, closed, dropped, etc

With well-formed workflows the issues can’t be transition direction from the initial status to all the other statuses and having to take the issues through all the proper transitions would be very painful.

Thanks

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2014

No, with REST, you can't do this.  REST "create issue" follows the workflow, so it creates open issues.  If you need them in another state, then you'll have to move them through the workflow (REST lets you do it, but I'm not going to say it's fun, as you need to map each possible route and possibly issue several "push through transition" calls)

With a "true" import you can set the status - CSV is the obvious one, but most of the other importers also allow/expect you to set the status as well.

Thanks, I guess I can look at using CSV again. 

None of it is easy cause there is a lot of data mapping needed between the systems .....

0 votes
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

We have a special set of importers to do such use cases. If your external issue tracker is not among ones that we officialy support, you could use CSV and JSON Importers. I strongly recommend you using JSON one, as it's much more powerful to use. You can found official documentation here.

JIRA Importers are designed to issue migrations - it creates all missing fields/priorities/resolutions etc. on the fly, also it allows you to pick what status you'd like the issue to have.

"it creates all missing fields/priorities/resolutions etc. on the fly" must use that that clairvoyant interface. ;>} Seriously, it looks like you all have done a lot of good work. It still requires a great deal of mapping between systems, My systems list of priorities doesn't match Jira, for example. Also I don't see how to enable Json export in issues, just a reference that it can be done. Also no examples of setting status with the json importer.

Suggest an answer