How to set due date in jira issue automatically from version field release date?

Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 22, 2016

I have a custom field which allows selecting versions. From the selected version in the field, the release date should be extracted and that should be set as the due date for an issue created . (say newSubTask ). How to do that?

What I did was:

def versionCF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Fix Version(s)")

String valueOfversionType = parentIssue.getCustomFieldValue(versionCF)

Project project = parentIssue.getProjectObject()

Version versionn = versionManager.getVersion(project.getId(), valueOfversionType)

newSubTask.setDueDate(new Timestamp(versionn.releaseDate.time))

But I get the following error:

2016-11-23 10:18:10,909 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: *************************************************************************************
2016-11-23 10:18:10,911 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: Script function failed on issue: TPK-129, actionId: 1, file: <inline script>
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getReleaseDate() on null object
	at Script1007.run(Script1007.groovy:61)

2 answers

2 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2016

Dear @Shagufta Gurmukhdas, Fix versions is not a custom field. It is a build-in field. To get it you should use 

issue.getFixVersions()

it returns a collection of all Fix Versions.

Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 23, 2016

No, Fix Version/s is the built-in field, but i have created a custom field named Fix Version(s) since I had to make it mandatory in my project and making mandatory the built in field would have made it mandatory for all projects that use it.

So, basically, my field IS a custom field

Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 23, 2016

@Vasiliy Zverev can you help with that? with doing it through a custom field?

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016
  1. It is possible to make Fix version mandatory into field configuration
  2. Namely trouble is that versionn is null. It means that 

versionManager.getVersion return null

Here is modified code

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
    import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
    import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
    import com.atlassian.jira.project.version.Version

Issue parentIssue = null

CustomField versionCF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Fix Version(s)")

Version versionn = versionManager.getVersion(
            parentIssue.getParentObject().getProjectId()
            , parentIssue.getCustomFieldValue(versionCF))

if(versionn == null)
        return

newSubTask.setDueDate(new Timestamp(versionn.getReleaseDate().getTime()))

0 votes
Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 22, 2016

Sorry, I have written versionn.getReleaseDate().time, not versionn.releaseDate.time . But anyway, both aren't working

Suggest an answer