How to set board settings in one place for different projects?

Johan Poland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2019

Here's what I do. I have multiple different projects and each project has its own board. I want all these board to have the same settings though, except for the fact that the board are for their own single project.

Is there a way that, when I want to change the settings of a board, I can change the settings directly for all my boards? Or put differently; is it possible to have 1 board that can be used for different projects?

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

There is the means of copying a board and then you can edit the copy and change the filter. I believe this will retain all settings. However, there is no board scheme that can be applied to a board. While projects have templates and schemes that can be shared across projects Boards do not have that same concept.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danny Coleman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

There's no way to sync up board configurations across multiple boards, so you're on the right track with using a single board for multiple projects.

Your first step would be to set up the new board with the configurations you want and ensure that the board's filter encompasses all the projects you want. From there, you'll want to decide how you want to visually organize the board so you can see tickets on a per-project basis. You could either use quick filters or swimlanes to do this.

Keep in the mind that depending on the volume of tickets in question, you could experience longer loading times for the new board than you do for your current project-specific boards.

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

Hello @Johan Poland

First part NO you can't change the settings of a board, I can change the settings directly for all my boards?

Second, you can create a filter that collects all the projects you need, then create a new board apply this filter and add a quick filter to your board, so each quick filter will show only specific project on your board.

Configure a quick filter:

Go to board -> configure -> quick filters -> add quick filter based on JQL

If you are new to JQL just user issue search, find what you desire, go to advanced and copy JQL.

Hope this helps, 

BR, Olga

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

Johan,

As you already know, boards are driven by filters. Generate a filter that touches on all your projects.

Victor

Suggest an answer