How to set a custom field based on the fixed version?

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to set a custom field based on the version of the project I'm working on. The field happens to be phase (prototype, development, verification, validation). This field needs to be set based on the version I'm working on for example:

Version: 1.3 phase: Verification

Version: 2.0 phase: prototype

When I set the fixed version, I want the phase set automatically.

2 answers

1 accepted

I was able to fix this using Jira Workflow Toolbox (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox)

You can also find it in the Add-on Marketplace.

I think this all depends on your definition of "easy". We do this sort of thing with external applications that browse for field changes and update other fields using REST. This works but the calculated field takes a few minutes to get recalculated (how fast we poll for changes).

This being a field update you wouldn't be able to do it nicely in a transition unless the version is actually changed in a transition. Regardless, you're going to need to do some programming.

Well my hope was that I would do it on the create transition because the fixed version is required when an issue is created.

Hi Ryan,

If the customfield(phase) is present on create screen, you can use javascript which read the version and it should set the phase.

Otherwise, you can create workflow postfunction with your requirement and place in the create transition.For that refer Workflow tutorial1 and Workflow tutorial2

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,317 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot