How to send email notification to non-Jira user when issue is resolved?

ivana December 6, 2018

Hi guys,

can someone help me with the following?

We'll start collecting issues via issue collector and non-Jira users will be able to report an issue.

What we would like to do is to send them email notification when issue is resolved/closed, but we are having a hard time configuring this.

Appreciate any help!

Best,

Ivana

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2018

Hello @ivana

Jira obeys the permission scheme of the issue while sending out notifications, So if external users don't have access to issues then they won't get the mails.

This is the msg you see when you try to enter external mail address against an event in the notification scheme

Notifications will be sent only for public issues. Public issues are issues which have a Permission scheme that gives the 'Browse Projects' permission to 'Anyone'(any non-logged-in users).

If you have script runner cloud plugin installed you can use the webhook event to send email to external users

http://scriptrunner-docs.connect.adaptavist.com/jiracloud/script-listeners.html

ivana December 7, 2018

Thank you so much, Tarun!

We'll try with the webhooks. 

Best, Ivana

Like Steve Berno likes this
ATsoft February 7, 2019

Hi @Tarun Sapra and @ivana Can you help me. I have the same problem + I dont know programing. What is a Webhook ? can you send me an example please ?

thanks

2 votes
Yuliia Maidanova -Alpha Serve- March 18, 2020

Hi @ivana 

You can send emails to external users using our Mail Me plugin. It is very easy to use and it allows you to not only send an email to an external user, but also add comments or attachments. You can create your own email templates and use them when sending issue. For any questions, please contact our support team, we will be happy to answer any questions!

Shanmukha April 20, 2020

Thanks Julia

I was trying to install it in my Jira Cloud but I am facing an installation issue.

Liubov Topchyi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2020

Hello @Shanmukha ,

Could you please let me know were you able to install the Mail Me plugin?

Regards,

Liubov

Like Kateryna Fulitka likes this
Russell_Anderson February 12, 2021

How can you use Mail Me to automatically email when certain events occur, such as an issue is resolved and you want to let an external stakeholder know?

Like Sindhu D M likes this
Sean Calfe March 23, 2021

Would Mail Me work to send updates to issues to non-licensed users? 

Liubov Topchyi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Hello @Russell_Anderson ,

Right now there is no such functionality but we are going to implement it for the Jira Cloud plugin in one of the upcoming Sprints. I'll let you know when it's implemented.

Regards,

Luba

Liubov Topchyi
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2021

Hello @Sean Calfe ,

You can send updates to non-licensed users using Mail Me plugin. You can type the external customer email manually or grab the external customer emails from the custom field if you use such configuration in your instance.

Please let me know if you have any questions or feel free to contact us directly at support@alpha-serve.com.

Regards,

Luba

Amar C May 19, 2022

Hello @Liubov Topchyi  you said you are about to implement a functionality to automatically send emails to external jira users whenever an issue is updated or resolved ....is it done yet in jira cloud?

MahanthPrudhvi May 20, 2022

Hi @Liubov Topchyi 

Even i am waiting for an update regarding the same issue....

Regards

Mahanth

Liubov Topchyi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2022

Hello @Amar C  and @MahanthPrudhvi ,

We are going to implement automation rules in Q3. I'll let you know when it's done.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Luba

akatzenberger December 13, 2022

@Liubov Topchyi 

Has this been implemented yet? If not is it still on the board to get done and if so when? Thanks!

MahanthPrudhvi December 13, 2022

Hi @Liubov Topchyi any update on this implementation?

Liubov Topchyi
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2022

Hello @akatzenberger  and @MahanthPrudhvi ,

The implementation was postponed. But the task has high priority and is going to be implemented next year. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Regards,

Luba

MahanthPrudhvi December 14, 2022

I will be waiting for the update. Thanks @Liubov Topchyi 

Daniel Belevtsov November 10, 2023

Hi All,

Happy to let you know that the Jira automation is finally supported by the "Mail Me" plugin (Jira Cloud). Here is a relevant tutorial for your reference: https://aserve.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MM/pages/2821554181/Jira+Automation+for+Mail+Me

Best wishes,

Daniel

0 votes
Vlad - RaleyApps May 18, 2019

@ivana 

You can send notifications to external emails using our add-on Raley Email Notifications. The emails could be static or dynamic from custom jira fields.

Cheers,

Vladimir | Raley

MahanthPrudhvi May 20, 2022

Hi .....

Is it possible to send an automated email to non jira user(user email taken from custom field)  whenever an issue is resolved

0 votes
Aakash T December 9, 2018

Hi @ivana,

As @Tarun Sapra already answered that with JIRA you can not do that, but you can use JIRA Service desk where you can create your service desk on which any anonymous user can report an issue and that issue can be tracked directly in your JIRA project.

Following is the link,

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer