How to select a specific transition-ID as a trigger in automation for jira?

Florian Ohrnberger August 30, 2021

Hi,

How can I select a specific transition ID as a trigger in automation for jira?

I want to select an itself transition. The itself transition can be triggered from any status  without changing the workflow. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

5 answers

1 vote
Martin Ferreira April 10, 2023

Hi as a workaround I added a post function to my transition to itself, where I put a value in one custom field in the issue, this way I can use the "Field value changed" trigger in the automation and execute the actions needed for that specific transition.

Also if you want to be able to execute the transition to itself multiple times you can add an action to the automation to clear the field that was filled with a value by the post function, this way you can have a condition to your automation to check if the field contains a value and if it does you can execute the actions in your rule.

Let me know if this helps!

Best regards,

1 vote
Florian Ohrnberger August 30, 2021

Hi Bill,

I have attached an pic as a example. The transition on the left side is the Itself function. It can be triggered from each status in the workflow without changing the status from A to B. 

image.png

A second reason for my request is,  when I have two transitions from Status A to Status B, with different post functions. So I cant select for which transition the rule should be run.

Best regards 

Florian

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2021

Hi @Florian Ohrnberger 

I believe automation rule's trigger on transition can only detect the status change, not other criteria you may have specified in your workflow functions.  I am using Cloud not Server version, so you will need to confirm that for Server.

As a work-around you could add conditions after your trigger in the rule, enforcing any other criteria in your workflow you needed to select a particular path.

0 votes
Iman Attia February 3, 2023

If your status eg. Open has 2 outgoing transitions eg.

Open > Closed (with a screen, validators & post functions)

Open > Closed (Group condition: Automation only - triggered by a different automation)

Within automation using the "Trigger" option currently, you cannot specify the transition you want to trigger the automation on.

The automation would trigger both/either transition currently.

Note: when using the "Action" function, you can specify the transition. 

0 votes
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

ASAP

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2021

Hi @Florian Ohrnberger -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you mean by "an itself transition"?  Do you mean back to the same status on an edit?

For the issue transition trigger with Automation for Jira (A4J), you may specify one or more status values from/to, or leave the values blank to trigger on all transitions.  Please look here for more information on that trigger: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/triggers-993924804.html#Triggers-issuetransitionedIssuetransitioned

Best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer