How to search for projects that include a word

Emma Knight June 12, 2014

We have many projects for the one customer.

We include the customers name in the title of the project.

I would like to do a filter/search that looks at all projects and returns the ones that includes the customers name.

However, I do not see any way to include text. It looks to only be text that is equal or not equal to the full sting of the project name.

Would love some help on how I can do what I am looking for.

Thanks,

2 answers

0 votes
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

Hi Emma,

JIRA actually has a "includes" operator which is the ~ operator but this is only available for certain fields.

You can find information about the operator and the fields where you can use it here.

JIRA doesn't have a feature to run SQL queries directly in JIRA, so the SQL would need to be queried directly in the JIRA database.

You could run something like this to search for projects with "word" in the project name

select pname from project where pname LIKE '%word%';

To look for a custom field value, you could use the same LIKE operator above using the custom field tables (customfield, customfieldvalue and customfieldoption) in the database too.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2014

Hey Emma just a few questions to clarify what you intend to do.

Whats the purpoose of this project filter? You want just a list of projects of a determined customer? Or a dashboard with all issues of a specific customer?

If the case is that you want all issues from a company(customer) you could do a jql filter like this:

company=company_name

if you want a list of projects from a determined customer i'm afraid that you will have to use an SQL query like this one :

select pname from project where pname='project_name';

Hope it helps :D

Emma Knight June 14, 2014

I hope this helps in clarifying what I am after.

Regardless of the item I am looking for (e.g. customer name) I am wanting a filter that is able to use an ‘includes’ argument.

E.g. <Field> ‘includes’ <word>

Where <Field> is any field within JIRA and <word> is any word that is found within the values of the field.

With your comment about an SQL query, are you saying that I can use an SQL query in the JQL filter query, or is there another way to achieve this?

Suggest an answer