How to retrieve list of permissions for a particular group using scriptrunner?

Marija Ušakova March 14, 2018

Dear @Alexey Matveev,

Is there a way I can retrieve the entire list of permissions (type of permissions) for a particular jira group in scriptrunner / or using any type of jql function or any groovy script that I can use from you.

Please let me.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2018

You can use a script like this:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.scheme.Scheme
import com.atlassian.jira.project.Project

String groupName = "group name" 

def a = ComponentAccessor.getProjectManager().getProjectObjects().each{ project ->
ComponentAccessor.getPermissionSchemeManager().getSchemeFor((Project)project).each { scheme ->
((Scheme) scheme).getEntities().each { entity ->
if (groupName.equals(entity.getParameter()))
log.error("project: " + ((Project)project).getKey() + " permission: " + entity.getEntityTypeId() )
}
}
}

It will show you all permissions in all projects for a group

Marija Ušakova March 15, 2018

@Alexey Matveev Thank you very much, but I have an issue I ran it in the script console and I got the list of projects and there is no permissions shown in the result window. Am I doing it wrong?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2018

could you provide a screeshot with the list of projects? Just one line. I do not need all the lines.

@Alexey Matveev Below is the screen shot

highlighted errors

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

Yes, you are calling the script the right way. The output must be on the Log tab, but the tab is empty.

The script will only show permissions, if the group directly is set in the project permission scheme. You you set a group for a role and then added to the role to the project permission scheme, then such a permission will not be shown for the group. Or if you set a custom group picker field for a permission and set the group as a value for the group picker, you also will not be able to see the group. If you need such cases, then I need to modify the script.

Marija Ušakova March 16, 2018

@Alexey Matveev I think I have the use case where I was asked to map the list of permissions a group has, and recently jira and confluence both user groups are not local configured jira groups and are moved/synced with active directory now, so I need to test the permissions schemes mapped to the synced AD groups.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2018

I modified the script. Now it will show all permissions where the group granted a permission through a role.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.scheme.Scheme
import com.atlassian.jira.project.Project
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.projectroles.ProjectRoleService
import com.atlassian.jira.util.ErrorCollection
import com.atlassian.jira.security.roles.ProjectRole
import com.atlassian.jira.security.roles.ProjectRoleActors

String groupName = "group name"

def projectRoleService =ComponentAccessor.getComponent(ProjectRoleService);
ErrorCollection errorCollection

def a = ComponentAccessor.getProjectManager().getProjectObjects().each{ project ->
ComponentAccessor.getPermissionSchemeManager().getSchemeFor((Project)project).each { scheme ->
((Scheme) scheme).getEntities().each { entity ->
if (groupName.equals(entity.getParameter()) && "group".equals(entity.getType())) {
log.error("project: " + ((Project)project).getKey() + " permission: " + entity.getEntityTypeId() )
}
if ("projectrole".equals(entity.getType())) {
ProjectRole projectRole = projectRoleService.getProjectRole(Long.valueOf(entity.getParameter()), errorCollection)
projectRoleService.getProjectRoleActors(projectRole, project, errorCollection).each{ actors ->
((ProjectRoleActors) actors).getRoleActors().each{actor ->
if (groupName.equals(actor.getParameter()))
log.error("project: " + ((Project)project).getKey() + " permission: " + entity.getEntityTypeId())
}
}
}
}
}
}
Like Max likes this

@Alexey Matveev Still no luck 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2018

Are you sure that the group is called like this? All letters in the upper case?

Oh let me try another group, but you know I tried a different group i see errors

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2018

These errors are actually the permissions for the group)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2018

You can see the whole list in the attlassian-jira.log

Marija Ušakova March 20, 2018

Thank you very much @Alexey Matveev. I really appreciate your help.

Mark August 22, 2018

@Alexey Matveev I am looking for script to show particular JIRA users over all projects and come over to your script.

Sorry that I am not expert in programming. I am a system admin. May I know what kind of script above sample is? Is it JAVA?

Can we use simple script like PowerShell to achieve same purpose?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2018

@Mark

This script can be run in the Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin.

MARK RYAN DAYANGHIRANG November 9, 2020

@[deleted]

how about a script to show user permission and clone that to a new user(s)?

Is it possible?

Suggest an answer