How to restrict user's access to only one project?

Vlad Gomzyakov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2017

I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've created a new user, created a new group and put the user there. Gave that group Jira software applicaiton access. Added that group to the project's permissions to the Browse section so they can voew that project. Log in as that user and still can see all projects. What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2020

Howdy,

I came across this post in the process of cleaning up some old posts here in Community, and I found it without an answer yet.  Please accept my apologies for the very long time-frame between question and answer here.  I understand you want to setup a new user so they only have access to a single project in Jira.

While there are steps you will need to take to give that user access to this project, that's not the only steps needed to remove them from other projects.  The reason being, Jira ships with its default permissions schemes being rather open in nature. My understanding this is done to try to unblock new users to Jira from being able to use the product from the get-go. There is a special group called "Any logged-in user" that tends to appear across default permissions schemes for many, many permission elements.

What you would need to do would be to edit all the other permission schemes in use by other projects in order to remove this "Any logged-in user" from being on the "Browse Projects" permission of those other projects.  That "Browser Projects" permission will let anyone that matches the users/groups/roles at least have the ability to see that project in Jira.  Removing "Any logged-in user" from there will remove their ability to see that project.  BUT you need to be aware that if you remove that permission from these other projects, that you will also need to make sure that your other users still have access to browse that project, should they need it.  Otherwise, those users won't be able to see that project either.   You could add them by a group they are in, or if you have been managing the project roles, you could add those instead.

I would recommend reading through our documentation on Managing project permissions.  It has good coverage of the technical details.  Additionally, I also recommend the KB Permissions made simple for Jira server, it tends to highlight the ways we recommend using roles in the process of managing user access and permissions.

I hope this helps anyone that might come across this same question in the future.

Cheers,

Andy

0 votes
Courtney Manitz June 7, 2017

I'm having the same issue. Have you had any luck yet, Vlad?

Vlad Gomzyakov June 8, 2017

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure if I were to set up a new instance I'd be able to configure the access the way I need it. But trying to figure out how permissions were set up on this existing instance and what influences what is impossible. Either users have access to all projects or to none :(

Suggest an answer