How to resolve issues using the Software Development Workflow?

Tom Smith September 18, 2013

Using OnDemand there is a workflow template for software development projects (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Software+Development+project). However, even when I press "Done" on an issue it transitions to the "Done" state but remains as "Resolution: Unresolved". Am I missing a step somewhere?

13 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Smith September 22, 2013

I did in fact submit a support request, and here's the response from David Nicholson:

"When you press 'Done', you're changing the status of the issue as you move it into a new workflow step, but that doesn't change the Resolution field automatically. If you would like that to happen, you'll need to add a post action to the transition to Done that updates the value of the Resolution field. Any value other than "Unresolved" will mean that there is a resolution, and it will show up properly on your reports and gadgets.

You can find details on Workflows at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Configuring+Workflow, and on Transitions and post actions by following the link to Advanced Workflow Configuration in the menu on the right hand side."

So my conclusion is that the pre-configured workflow, which I thought would be a good bootstrap for a new development project, isn't actually very useful since it never resolves or closes issues. So I guess I'll ignore it and take the time to configure a custom workflow for what should be a very ordinary process. Pity.

3 votes
Jacob Beard November 17, 2013

I filed a bug report: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JST-82031

Note that the documentation states "When any 'Done' transition occurs the resolution is set to Done."

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Software+Development+project

So this should definitely be considered a bug.

Lee Boynton December 11, 2013

I get a "Permission Violation" when I try to view that bug report. Has there been any feedback about this bug?

1 vote
Jacob Beard November 17, 2013

+1

This is incredibly unfriendly to new users.

1 vote
Jonas Edgeworth October 21, 2013

Agree with Tom. This should be treated as a bug or unfinished functionality, particulary since most JIRA reporting relies on issues transitioning to a Resolved state. All users of these stock workflows will need to make these customizations in order for reporting to be accurate.

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2014

Default Workflows in Jira should resolve issues as they have a Post Function in the Done Transition to update the Resolution Field.

If your Workflow does not have such a post function, then you might be having this bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36324that is just being fixed and will be deployed soon.

Cheers,
Mauro

Luca Orlandi March 18, 2014

Is this going to be released in the "Atlassian OnDemand maintenance windows" ? My OnDemand instance is version 6.2

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2014

Yes, as the issue is marked as Fixed it will be deployed soon on a maintenance window but it might also be delayed unexpectedly by other upgrade tasks.

Cheers

0 votes
Gregory Block March 9, 2014

I have to be honest, this really threw me for a loop, and while it's great that it's totally configurable I do sit here wondering why on earth the default configuration does this.

0 votes
Toby February 9, 2014

I may 'love' Jira - but this is a(nother) good example of how un-user-friendly it is - if you want to leave things like this in, working this way (correct or not), people are going to find it confusing and frustrating to use.

Still, until something else competes, this is still the only thing around so we will use it!

0 votes
Sumithra Sudhir November 6, 2013

I have the same issue. I am using Jira with software development workflow. The postfunction for done sets resolution to done. But it is not always set to done.

0 votes
German Moriello October 22, 2013

Please post here if your submit request has any new. Road Map is useless like it is now.

I have to edit 3 transitions, to add a Post Function updating the resolution.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

submitt a support request @ https://support.atlassian.com/

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

Do you have Resolve Issue permission?

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2013

Since it is a Software Development Workflow there is no resolution. You are creating something new, so at the end you simply say "done" - no need to set a resolution.

However, if you want to use this workflow to fix something and you require a resolution you will have to change the workflow (create a copy of the workflow). There are two options.

1. In the transition to done add a screen with resolution field (or if already a screen is used add the field to that screen) and use a field required validator for resolution. So everytime you set an issue to done the resolution must be set.

2. If you want always the same resolution (e.g. fixed) use a post function in that transition and set the resolution to e.g. fixed.

0 votes
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2013

hello Tom Smith,

Check your workflow where the Done transition has any postfunction which clears the Resolution to Unresolved.

Tom Smith September 20, 2013

Thanks for the reply, but this is a stock workflow in the OnDemand (hosted) system, not a customized workflow.

Suggest an answer