How to require fields before issue can be added to a sprint?

Managers are tired of having to go thru items that have been added to a sprint without the epic, version number and est points fields filled out. Those aren't fields that are filled in during creation. But we would like to restrict the ability to add any issue to a sprint if those 3 fields have not been filled out. How could I enforce that, only when adding issues to a sprint?

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Alicia,

It isn't possible to make fields required during a transition only by default, but you can possibly achieve this using the JIRA Suite Utilities.

That is, with this plugin you can make the fields required only on transition, and with this you can:

1- Add a new transition to your workflow, which can be a loop transition (that makes the issue transition to the same status in which it already is) - you can call this transition 'Add to Sprint' for example, and add the sprint field to this transition's screen.

2- In this transition, configure the Fields required validator so that JIRA won't allow the issue to be transitioned unless the version number, epic and Estimation Points fields are filled.

3- Add the version number, epic and Estimation Points field to the same screen.

4- And finally, remove the Sprint field from your 'Edit Issue' screen, so that the only way the user can add the issue to the sprint is through that transition.

I hope this helps! :)

Thank you Matheus. I'm signed up for Atlassian workflow training that I'll be starting soon. I expect your recommendation will make more sense once I complete the training class.

Thanks again,

Alicia

Anytime! let me know if you have any further doubts regarding this. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

456 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you