How to remove/ hide closed issues from backlog

I can still see closed issues from the previous completed sprint from my backlog.

this is my first time to use Jira as a PM tool. i created my first sprint and successfully completed it by hitting the complete button.

unfortunately there are some tasks that not yet resolve or still in progress.something in the system pop up and saying that do I want to put all the on going tasks to backlog, i choose yes. after clicking the ok button, all of my tasks from my previous sprint appears in my backlog and i cant remove them from that list.

what am i supposed and right thing to do?

Thanks in advance

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

When you complete a sprint, all the issues you have not finished are, by definition, not done with, so they need to go either into another sprint, or back into your backlog.  They still need action, so you need to keep them somewhere that shows them as needing work.

Only issues that are in the far right-hand column of your working board will be seen as "done" by the sprint when you close it.

Oh i see. so how can tag them now as done? based on the workflow i created, i only have inprogress-code review-for QA -closed.

is closed status is equal to done?

thanks in advance

You need to get them into the far right hand column of your board, and then close the sprint.

Boards and sprints do not use the resolution at all, and only really use status to determine which column an issue is in.  What matters to them is the right-hand column.

Hi Nic,

I attached a screenshot of my backlog, you can see list of issues came from the my previous closed sprint.

please also note that all of this issues were already closed before i closed the said sprint.

Is there any way to remove this issues from my backlog? all issues are all technically done and the sprint is already closed.

Closed issues from backlog.JPG

The issues need to be in the far right hand column of your board.  Move them into a status that is in that column.

I have exactly the same issue. Could you please help us with resolving such an issue?

Hi Marta,

I already resolved this concern by putting the closed column to the last. it should be look like this.

closed column.JPG

1. you go to the board settings

2. select column on navi bar

3. arrange your column based on your workflow., make sure that you place the closed column on most right last part. this mean your issues is already completed.(the color green line under the column name also indicates the status is done)

let me know if this works.

Yes, it worked :) Thank you a lot.

Could you help me with one more thing? 

How to achieve that the items in cancelled status do not appear in Backlog? Sometimes during the Sprint, we as a team decide not to do a feature and we have 'Won't do column' mapped with Cancelled status. Aftercompletingg the Spirnt they apear in Backlog :(

Put the cancelled status in the last column on the board.

Ok. Will do that. I thought there is a way to have it in seperate column. Ok. No worries. I guess I have to solve it like that. Thank you. Marta :)

It's the same - Only issues that are in the far right-hand column of your working board will be seen as "done" 

it would be helpful to have more than one DONE column...  

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

77 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you