How to remove closed issues from the current sprint?

Christophe L. July 1, 2019

Hi there,

I have a growing list of issues that keep on being included every time I create a new sprint. Those issues are done (Resolution) and closed (Status).

How can I remove them from the current sprint so that they stop being carried over every time?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2019

Is the status "closed" in the right-most column on the board?

Christophe L. July 2, 2019

It's not. Should it? The sprint board is only one part of the whole workflow, issues moved to the last column of the sprint board are picked up by another kanban board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2019

Yes, the last column on the board is the "definition of done" for Jira.  If a card is not in the right hand column, it is not "done"

Like Nikita Krupin likes this
Christophe L. July 2, 2019

ok thank you, that explains it. It seems rather limiting though, because cases can be closed for other reasons on other kanban boards. I'll try and find a workaround.

Thanks!

Jorge Villanueva April 14, 2022

HI Nic,

I do have two status "won't do" and "done" when tasks won't be done for x reason we flag them as such but the column of won't do is not the right-most column because that is "Done" so the items on won't do are never removed from the sprint and keep moving forward to the new sprint. Any suggestion to resolve this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2022

Map your "won't do" and "done" status into the last column on the board.

"won't do" is not the usual way to do the end of an issue.  It is best supported by have a "done" status, and resolving the issue with a resolution of "won't do", not having a separate status.

1 vote
Chris Green September 11, 2019

I have the same issue @Christophe L. 

Each time we close a sprint (~monthly) there are additional issues that are rolled over to the new sprint

Within each sprint, we do a number of releases and 'releasing' the tickets in JIRA sets the status of the tickets in that release (aka fix version) to 'Closed'

Only 1 sprint is active at any time, and the 'Active sprints' Board, currently containing 90 tickets of type Bug, Task, Epic, Spike, Improvement, New Feature (no sub-tasks), in status'
Reopened, In Progress, Under Review, Ready for QA (No 'Done' or 'Closed' tickets)

The 'Backlog' view contains 1 active sprint and 2 inactive (future) sprints and a Backlog

On the 'Column Management' page (RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=12&config=columns) there are 2779 issues showing as 'Done'

When trying to close the sprint it shows "0 issues were done" (consistent with the above) but then shows "511 issues were incomplete"

When I search issues by Sprint 520 issues appear, 429 of which imported in to the sprint from the last sprint as "Closed" (with varying resolutions, Duplicate, Won't Do, Done, Not Applicable, etc) from as far back as June 2016 that have been rolled through 17 different sprints

This affects the burndown chart, as the story points are not shown as released at the end of any sprints

I tried doing a bulk action to Close all tickets, but they still rolled over to the next sprint

Christophe L. September 11, 2019

I ended up selecting the extra tickets and setting their sprint to the empty string in a bulk action. They're gone for good now.

Clunky but it works.

Like Paresh Gokhale likes this
Chris Green September 11, 2019

Ha! 
That's great @Christophe L. 

Did you lose the historic information about which sprint they were originally a part of?
A small issue, if I can get rid of these 2 year old tickets

This would need to be done each sprint, in order to get a burndown, is that how you are managing it now?

Chris

Christophe L. September 12, 2019

I haven't looked at the history of the extra tickets, I'd imagine everything would be there.

I haven't had to do it again since but I'm keeping an eye on this type of tickets now.

marie.mitchell January 9, 2020

Hi @Christophe L. ,

Can you tell me how you did this please? 

"I ended up selecting the extra tickets and setting their sprint to the empty string in a bulk action."

I have an issue where tickets are automatically adding to the next sprint, sprint after sprint - sometimes pulling through on the sprint board but mostly not. No idea what the long term solution is but would be good to manage sprint by sprint for now.

Thank you,

Marie

Christophe L. January 9, 2020

Hi @marie.mitchell 

IIRC, after selecting the relevant cases, I chose "Edit":

edit.png

And then edited the sprint field:

editSprint.png

Hope that helps

marie.mitchell January 9, 2020

@Christophe L. - thanks for getting back to me. From where are you editing? I don't recognise the field in the screen shot!

Thanks,

Marie

Christophe L. January 13, 2020

It's after you click 'Next' on my screenshot. There's a long page of things you can edit, just look for 'Change Sprint'.

marie.mitchell January 13, 2020

Thank you @Christophe L. I may be that i don't have access, but i'll look in to this.

Thanks for your help,

Marie

Suggest an answer