How to remove automatic collapsing comments / "View older comments"

headgeek May 19, 2020

This feature (on by default) got me more than once.

How to remove this automatic older comment collapsing feature?

I don't need "view older comments" button. 

No matter how long the comments are. I want them all there by default for viewing.

thank you.

1 answer

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2020

Hello @headgeek,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The feature to collapse/expand comment it's not something that an administrator can enable or disable. Since the old view and now with the new issue view, this option will appear once a number of comment is added. 

There are some features suggesting improvements for that:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Matt Comer April 15, 2021

Hello Angélica Luz,

This change, setting, or configuration to not allow an option as a user preference to override the default collapsable comment button that requires the clicking of it and scrolling down to view all newer remaining comments is poor design and functionality.

Without a way for a user to remove the "View x remaining newer comments in Jira", just in order to read that newest comment, then 2 additional steps are required that could have easily been eliminated. These extra steps will waste a considerable amount of time and energy for a user over time.

Instead of a user simply scrolling to the bottom of the page to read the newest comment, a user must now scroll over to and click on the "View 10 remaining newer comments in Jira" button, then continue to scroll to the bottom of the page to read what could have been more easily read without collapsable comments.

The new "Newest first/Oldest first" sorting feature that was released and then quickly retracted on April 1, 2021 that provides the ability to sort by older or newer comments has returned this week. While this was a pleasant surprise and helpful feature. Today, I notice the the addition of the "View x remaining newer comments in Jira", but this feature is not very welcome and a hinderance to efficiency and productivity.
And while I am aware that a user can sort by "Newest first" and eliminate the need to click a "View x remaining older comments in Jira", in order to see new comments. The user must scroll to just the right spot on the page where the new comments appear. Where in the past, it was easier to use the keyboard or mouse to quickly navigate to the bottom of the page without the need to hunt and peck for the spot that they are looking to find.

Allowing a user to change this default feature based on their own preferences would be highly encouraged, thanks,
Matt

Like # people like this
Matthew Raufman April 29, 2021

Angélica - This feature has caused issues and confusion in our project. Clients and team members often respond to old comments, thinking that is where the conversation left off. If anything older comments should be hidden, so that the latest conversation can be followed. 

Please please please fix!

Like # people like this
Santiago Estel January 30, 2023

I suppose that nothing has changed, right?

I also have a customer who has opened an official service request asking for removing of this "feature". - People just want to see all the comments in one action.

Like Dwight Holman likes this
Nikolay Hamov March 14, 2023

This "View older comments" feature is a real productivity killer.

First you scroll to find what you need, you don't find it, then as you didn't find what you need you verify if you're on the right issue, then you scroll to "View older comments", then you click on it, then you scroll find the comment you need. You end up doing 5 actions instead of 1.

Hope the saved traffic and CPU time save the world.

Chris M. March 24, 2023

I don't get why major usability pain points like these are not given priority. We had this come up as along with the issue that users preferring Newest First would have to scroll counterintuitively to the bottom in order to add a comment.

I managed to band-aid-fix this for Server/Data Center using a javascript hack to swap the button above the comments, as well as to auto-expand collapsed comments and even indicate when new comments have been added since refreshing. Unfortunately, with Cloud, not even apps using Forge uiModification will have the ability to do any of these things. They really need to give admins a little more freedom to customize and clean up UI problems if they won't do it themselves. #FreeTheDOM

Suggest an answer