How to reduce Data Hard Disk space from the split or achieve or etc...

willie March 26, 2023

Hi All

Confluence application use a lot of the HD space so how to reduce it, thanks.

Environment:

1.  Atlassian Confluence 6.6.14

2. Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.6.13#76015-sha1:18c5011)

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

@willie 

How large is your instance?  How many spaces, pages, blog posts and attachments do you have?  How many backups do you have on the server? 

All of these things and more contribute to the space the instance will use. Answering the questions above is a start.

Helpful information:

willie March 27, 2023

I show you more about my JIRA/Confluence system status, hopefully, these messages are okay for you to check my issue, if it isn't enough please give me more references information and how to find out the system messages. thank you.

1. My OS(ubuntu) only use 32G HD space  / Data HD 2T

2. User accounts 250(frequently users 50~100)

3. 1 VM on AZURE included 4 containers (Nginx / Mysql / JIRA / Confluence)

4.  Jira/Confluence version /  Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.6.13#76015-sha1:18c5011)/ Atlassian Confluence 6.6.14

VM HD status

image.png

Jira HD status

image.png

Confluence HD status

image.png

image.png

image.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

@willie So you have a lot of attachments.  I am assuming that this is majority of the space being utilized.  I would suggest looking at cleaning some of that up.  Are there spaces that you have deleted but did not delete the attachments off of the server?

willie March 30, 2023

Thank you, @Brant Schroeder , for your response. As you mentioned cleaning it up, could you please provide me with some user guidelines about how to cleaning up it?

Willie 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2023

@willie I would suggest purging your trash in spaces.  This should provide a simple way to clean up pages and attachments.  

Purge deleted pages

To permanently get rid of a page, you need to purge it from the trash. That'll mean the page, and all its versions and attachments, are gone for good.

Attachments of deleted pages remain in the database until the trash is purged, after which they're permanently deleted. This means that, before you purge any pages, you should check that the attachments on those pages aren't being used elsewhere. If you're not sure, move those attachments onto another page.

To purge deleted pages:

1. Select Space settings from the sidebar.

2. Select Trash from the Manage pages card.

3. Select Purge for a specific page or Purge All to permanently clear all deleted pages and news items.

The file structure on the server.

By default, Confluence stores attachments in the attachments directory within the configured Confluence home folder.  You can go here and remove folders of spaces that no longer exist.  Make sure you only delete folders of deleted spaces.  

You should also look at confluence backups in the file structure and delete old backups. You can also delete old logs as well. 

willie April 7, 2023

@Brant Schroeder  Thank you very much for your assistance. I apologize for any inconvenience, but I am unable to locate the 'Purge' option on my dashboard. I suspect that my version may be outdated. Would you kindly assist me in finding this option?

Thanks, again 

image.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2023

@willie it is done at the space level. see information below from https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/delete-or-restore-a-page-139429.html 

Empty the trash or permanently delete a page

If you're a space admin you can permanently delete a page (and all its attached files) by purging it from the trash. Once purged, the page and all its versions and attached files will be gone for good. 

To purge deleted pages:

1. Go to the space and choose Space tools > Content Tools from the bottom of the sidebar
  2. Choose Trash.
  3. Choose   > Purge next to a specific page or you can Purge all to completely empty the trash. 

Automatically purge deleted pages and files

Confluence can automatically purge deleted items from the trash when they reach a certain age, based on the date they were deleted. 

Deletion dates will not be accurate for any items deleted before Confluence 7.14. This is because we did not store this data in earlier Confluence versions. The date displayed in the trash page is the date your site was first upgraded to Confluence 7.14 or later. Anything deleted after this date has an accurate deletion date.

To find out how to automatically purge items from the trash see Set retention rules to delete unwanted data

Like willie likes this

Suggest an answer