How to "link issues" in easy agile user story maps

Gooty October 18, 2019

Hi Team, 

To our Jira user stories, we link issues usually test cards / related stories etc., 

Is there a way to create linkage / relationship between issues while using user story maps. 

Also, if I move between versions / epics, will it be updated in the issue itself?

Many Thanks

Sam

2 answers

0 votes
Teagan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2019

Hi @Gooty

My name is Teagan and I am a Product Manager at Easy Agile. 

@gustavhehe is correct with his explanation of how we use the Epic link to link stories in Easy Agile User Story Maps - thank you for your explanation @Gustav L_Estrade :)

Currently, the only linking mechanism presently available in Easy Agile User Story Maps is the Epic link. The top of the User Story Map is lined with your Board's Epics. Below each of those Epics are the Stories that contain the associated Epic link. Moving issues from the 'Issues without Epics' panel onto the User Story Map, will create the Epic link for the Epic you've chosen to drop the story beneath. Moving issues between Epics on the Story Map, will update the issue's Epic link to the new Epic. 

There is currently no way to visualise/create link type other than the Epic link between issues on the User Story Map. In saying that, we do have a story on our backlog to visualise dependencies between issues. Would it be enough to just visualise these dependencies on the Story Map, or would you also expect that you would be able to create them as well? I'd be happy to keep you updated on the progress of that piece of work if you were interested? 

Thanks @Gooty , looking forward to hearing your feedback
Teagan Harbridge 
Product Manager - Easy Agile 

Avigail_Manheim February 4, 2020

A way to visualize dependencies would be great. I assume you mean that if I had on a ticket said ticket B is blocked by ticket A then that would be somehow shown. Being able to create dependencies from the story map view would be even better.

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2020

Hi @Avigail_Manheim

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know you'd be interested in both seeing and creating dependencies on the User Story Map. 

They're definitely two stories that already exist on our backlog and I've made sure to add your votes and comments to them. 

You're correct in terms of the mechanics of how we would visualise dependencies. This is something we have experience in building, as we allow users to both visualise and create dependencies in our other product, Easy Agile Programs

I will make sure to keep you updated of any progress with dependencies on the User Story Map here.

Thanks again for your interest in this feature Avigail, I look forward to being able to reach back out with the good news
Teagan Harbridge 
Product Manager - Easy Agile 

Avigail_Manheim February 6, 2020

Hi @Teagan 

Regarding visualizing dependencies, I'd like to additionally request to be able to visualize custom links as well. Specifically, parent/child relationships between tasks within the same epic. Perhaps this would look similar to how subtasks are displayed within a Kanban board. 

This feature would be a game changer, as it would essentially allow the creation of more levels of hierarchy within Jira. I know I'm not the only one who struggles with epic>story>subtask being too flat (especially because subtasks cannot be divided into separate sprints). 

Thanks for considering it.

Avigail

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
February 6, 2020

Hi @Avigail_Manheim 

Thanks for your feedback! We do have an existing story already on our backlog about exposing/being able to create multiple link types between issues in Easy Agile Programs and I have made sure to add your comments to that story.

I'm sure once we start fleshing this feature out we will have additional questions that we may need your help answering. I'll make sure to reach back out to you here when we are at that stage of investigation.

Thanks Avigail, appreciate your feedback
Teagan  

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking for, but i will give a shot at explaining what can be done. 

The purpose of epics is to do story mapping, where multiple stories can be assigned an epic to make them related to the same feature. The field "Epic Link" that every issue has is the field that determines which epic it is related to. This will update if you move the issue between epics. 

It is also possible to do linking between tasks and there are a set of preset links available. An example is the "blocked by" and similair. In Jira you can create custom links. These are found under Administration > Issues > Issue linking and any relationship can be created there. If you are not admin yourself, talk to your admin if there is a relationship that is needed but not available. Since it is configurable it should be able to fit your need. 

Hope this helps, if not please elaborate further what you need and why it is a problem.

Suggest an answer