How to put a clock/time on one issue or task?

Pernille Kjær Aagaard September 11, 2019

I need to have some sort of time starting when I move one task from one column to another. So fx when I move task 1 from "Not Started" to "In Progress". A new clock should then start if it moves from "In Progress" to "Test". I need an automatic clock to start, so we can see if more than a specific amount of hours are used on the task. I can see that there are several add ons to Jira but I think there is also a build in function for this.

Can this be done?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hi Pernille,

I understand you are looking to track the time in which an issue has been in a specific status.   Natively, within Jira Core and Jira Software, this is not something that Jira can display on an issue itself.   But within Jira Service Desk, you do gain SLA functions that can be made to track that information based on a configuration you can setup as to when to start/stop that timer.  This function though is specific to Service Desk projects.  More details on this for both

However if you're not wanting to use a Service Desk project for some reason, then it might be a better solution to use some third party plugin to Jira to try to track this instead.  I'm sure there are several options within Marketplace, however the one I am personally most familiar with would be Time in Status

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any concerns about this topic.

Andy

0 votes
Pernille Kjær Aagaard September 25, 2019

Hi

Thank you, I will suggest our company the Time in Status, I think that has exactly what is needed.

Kind regards

Pernille

0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

There are some custom field add-ons on the marketplace that can also provide this functionality. They usually provide "Time in Status" custom fields and allows some configuration. You can also use JQL to query in that case, like "Time in Review > 7d". You can also merge JQL ability with Jira's subscription feature to get notified when an issue waits in a status more than a set threshold. Our "Custom Fields++" add-on is one of them. 

Suggest an answer