How to properly configure Base DN when using Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication

We are using an Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication. The Directory Type is Microsoft Active Directory. I am a newbie to using AD for LDAP Authentication.

We have users in the US and their "domain" is "amer.company.com", and users in the UK and their "domain" is "emea.company.com".

When I set the Base DN as "dc=company,dc=com", then all US and UK users can login, but there is a 5-10 second delay while authenticating.

When I set the Base DN as "dc=amer,dc=company,dc=com", then only US can login, and there is insignificant delay while authenticating.

Can someone suggest a better configuration so US and UK users can login with minimal delay?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

Just a simple suggestion really, but why not create two directories? This should be fine providing you're using local groups.

The problem is probably something to do with referrals or hitting the wrong DC, but you will need an LDAP admin to help you with that I would think.

I used the method of creating two directories, and now there is insignificant delay when US or UK users login. Thanks.

Cool... you can mark my answer as correct if it helps.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

793 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you