How to prioritize at the 'Component' level of a project

Priorities and dependencies are easily set at the level of an 'issue'...'tasks', etc. Is there a way to do this at the component level?

3 answers

1 vote

No, components are just "parts of a project".  Priority is set on issues.

However, having different parts of an issue with different priorities is possible - create sub-tasks.  I've automated this in a few places too, by scripting the creation of subtasks based on one-per-component when an issue goes from "new" to "in progress" for example.

1 vote
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Oct 18, 2016

Priorities can not be set at component level. But there is an small hack which I use to prioritize based on components. What you can do is to create "swim-lanes" in your scrum/kanban boards, these swim-lanes will be based on components and then you can arrange the swim-lanes based on your component's priority, example- The component with higher priority would have it's corresponding swim-lane on the board above the swimlanes of other components and so on.

Thanks for the prompt feedback Tarun/Nic! I like both answers. But, for my purposes I think I found something easier. Since I'm really just trying to indicate which component(s) will be worked on in what order relative to the others... I can just create inter-component dependencies to imply priority like this:

Component_2 (Initial Task) has FS dependency on Component_1 (Final Task)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,329 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot