How to prioritize at the 'Component' level of a project

Deleted user October 18, 2016

Priorities and dependencies are easily set at the level of an 'issue'...'tasks', etc. Is there a way to do this at the component level?

3 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

Priorities can not be set at component level. But there is an small hack which I use to prioritize based on components. What you can do is to create "swim-lanes" in your scrum/kanban boards, these swim-lanes will be based on components and then you can arrange the swim-lanes based on your component's priority, example- The component with higher priority would have it's corresponding swim-lane on the board above the swimlanes of other components and so on.

Monica Ross May 7, 2018

@Tarun Sapra, how did you create these "swimlanes" in the board? I can only do mine based on status and can't figure out how to do it based on component - but i've seen this hack mentioned in a few diff places. 

Tarun Sapra May 7, 2018

Hello @Monica Ross

You can create swimlanes in the board by using JQL queries, here's the docs

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-swimlanes-764478010.html

Each lane can be based on the JQL query which in turn consists of something like "component = <name>"

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

No, components are just "parts of a project".  Priority is set on issues.

However, having different parts of an issue with different priorities is possible - create sub-tasks.  I've automated this in a few places too, by scripting the creation of subtasks based on one-per-component when an issue goes from "new" to "in progress" for example.

0 votes
Deleted user October 18, 2016

Thanks for the prompt feedback Tarun/Nic! I like both answers. But, for my purposes I think I found something easier. Since I'm really just trying to indicate which component(s) will be worked on in what order relative to the others... I can just create inter-component dependencies to imply priority like this:

Component_2 (Initial Task) has FS dependency on Component_1 (Final Task)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events