How to prevent two users assigning the same ticket to themselves?

Rob Jordan March 24, 2015

We have about 12 users on our team. JIRA issues are first assigned to our team id. Then individual team members click the "assign to me" link to take ownership of the ticket and work the ticket until closed. The issue I have is that sometimes other team members within a few seconds accidentally assign the same issue to themselves that I've already assigned to myself because they have a stale view of the ticket assignee. I also try to prevent taking tickets that other team members that have already assigned to themselves by reloading the JIRA page multiple times as a workaround (very tedious). Any way to create a rule that a ticket cannot change ownership more than once per minute, etc? Most code repositories have a way to checkout or lock a resource. Hoping there is a way to do this in JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2015

Not out of the box. JIRA doesn't lock the ticket so people can be working it at the same time. You should check the marketplace for a plugin, but I doubt it.

Rob Jordan March 24, 2015

I'm fine with the ticket being updated. The issue is just if the assignee changes. This could result it both team members performing the same task which can just waste time or potentially cause an outage if for example two people try to reboot the same host. Hopefully it can be added as a feature in in a future JIRA release.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2015

This has happened to my team and there's nothing much that can be done on tool side. The workaround I can think of is that you can hide the native "Assign" button via the Permission scheme then just create a transition "Assign to Me" which has an "Assignee" field which will transition it to the "Assigned" status. Once in this status, there's no way to reassign the ticket other than putting it back to "Open" or something like "Unassigned" which can be restricted via the Workflow Scheme.

Rob Jordan March 25, 2015

Thanks. I'll pass this along to our JIRA admin. I'm thinking this could be nice feature in a future release. Not so dissimilar from Amazon prompting you if you try to purchase the same item twice in a short time span.

Suggest an answer