How to prevent indented text after bullet in Jira Description field

Meg P February 14, 2019

In Jira, when using bullets in the description field (or any other wiki rendered field) the following line is also indented.  Is there anyway to remove this?  If I'm speccing out the field requirements then I want to only use bullets to show multiple options within a list.

e.g.
field A length = 40 char
functionality for field A
* scenario 1 = Customer
* scenario 2 = User
functionality for field B (I DON'T WANT THIS INDENTED)
* scenario 1 = Email
* scenario 2 = Username
next line (I DON'T WANT THIS INDENTED)

I know I could make the entire thing a list but it makes it harder to read and when you do need a few layers of bullets you run out of horizontal screen space pretty quickly.  Adding a line space in between isn't ideal as the content should all be together and also makes it even trickier to update and see what you're doing in edit mode.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2019

Hi Meg,

I can reproduce the problem you're seeing.

The good news is that there is a new Description field coming very soon that will fix this problem.  I can't say when it will arrive on your instance but fingers crossed it will be soon.

I hope that helps!

Meg P February 18, 2019

Thanks Martyn, appreciate your help!

Like Marty likes this
Alexey Kobrinskii January 3, 2020

Could you please tell me why this answer is the accepted answer? The problem is still there: the indent is "written in stone" in the middle of a list, with or without a bullet; the new line disrupts both the list enumeration and the wholeness of the given part of the text.

Like # people like this
George.Markovic February 17, 2021

agree, still there

0 votes
Meg P February 17, 2019

Double enter works but then you have a line break where you don't want one. I'll get a screen shot for you. Thanks for looking into this!

0 votes
Meg P February 17, 2019

Yes that's what I do. The issue is that after that it still indents (even though there is no bullet icon showing)

Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Doh!

Would you mind attaching some screenshots of what you're seeing?  That will help me find the right team to ask.

Marty
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2019

Also, what happens if you do a double enter? ie. enter an additional newline

Meg P February 17, 2019

Jira indents.png

Like Marty likes this
Marty
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2019

Thanks Meg.

Would you mind adding one more screenshot zoomed out a little bit so I can get some context on your jira instance? I'd like to see which screen you are on

Meg P February 17, 2019

Jira full page.png

0 votes
Marty
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2019

Hi Meg,

what happens if you move your cursor to the end of the line '* scenario 2 = User' and then hit enter?  

Also which version of Jira are you using?

Meg P February 17, 2019

Hi Martyn,

If I hit enter I get a new line which automatically has a bullet (* ).

We're using cloud JIRA.

Like Marty likes this
Marty
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2019

Thanks Meg,

and can you delete that * after it get automatically added?

Meg P February 17, 2019

Yes, that's what I do. The issue is that after that it still indents (even though no bullet icon showing)

Suggest an answer