Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to populate newly added custom fields in JIRA tickets from a CSV file?

My team is currently using a JIRA project to manage requests that we receive from various teams in the organization. We are then transporting this information for every ticket to a google spreadsheet and adding more information in the spreadsheet for every ticket. We realized that all of this information can be easily captured in the JIRA ticket itself. So we added additional fields to the JIRA project so all our existing tickets have these newly added fields but there is no information in these tickets against these new fields because this information exists in a google spreadsheet. Is there a way to bulk upload this information to the existing tickets in JIRA?

Just to explain it further,

I have a JIRA ticket, # XYZ1 that has 6 fields when the ticket was created. I added 10 new fields to the project XYZ so ticket #XYZ1 now has 16 fields. But the data for these newly added fields exist in a google spreadsheet that has 16 columns, 6 from the original ticket and 10 manually added columns. The names of 10 additional fields are the same as the 10 column headers in the google spreadsheet. Can I get the values of these newly added fields migrated to ticket #XYZ1 from the google spreadsheet without having to manually updated the ticket?

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

If you created the additional fields in your JIRA instance and they are part of the XYZ project (i.e you have them defined on a screen, the context of the fields are either Global or defined to the XYZ project) you can upload the data with no issues. 

If they are text fields you should be good. If they are drop down, single select field I would recommend to populate the field first before you do the import.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florian PEREZ Community Leader Dec 29, 2021

Hello,

Using csv import you can add the ID of the issue and jira will consolidate missing data. You'll need to give all the old datas of the issue (so jira doesnt empty the field)

Hope this help

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt Community Leader Dec 29, 2021

You can import from a spreadsheet (csv). You need to have the issue number as part of the row you're importing and only the new information is needed 

Thanks Joe

I tried but not getting the option to map to exact issue key. Just for an example my issue key is PM-32 and I have this as a row in my csv file but while performing the upload operation I can't map to the same issue key of JIRA project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you