How to populate Summary field on Create transition

holly_stites_veeva November 7, 2014

I'd like to remove the Summary from the Create screen and populate the Summary field on the Create transition using the value from the Epic Name which is entered by the user on the Create screen.  It appears that according to the documentation, values can be set as long as it is done BEFORE the "Creates the issue originally" post function step since Summary is required.  I've tried various ways to accomplish this but they all cause an error on the create screen stating that Summary is required.  I've even tried to just set Summary to a default value without doing any copying and it still throws an error.  Does anyone know if this is/should be possible?  Thank you! 

2 answers

0 votes
holly_stites_veeva November 7, 2014

Thank you for the help!  Frustrating that it's not easily achievable.  It wasn't an issue before Epic Name came along, but it causes additional unnecessary work for Epic's now.  Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2014

I think it's not quite right for Epics because Epics are still, at their heart, a Jira issue that's been co-opted to form the Epic, rather than a complete implementation of an Epic. As you suggest, I'd always expect the "summary" of an Epic to be, well, the name of the Epic. I do it manually, but it's not great. The other trick I'd not mentioned earlier is that I use the script runner to overwrite the summary with the name after creation, but that means remembering to educate the users to be aware that what they put in the summary is going to be scrubbed (so always put in sfsadsada or a dot or soemthing)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2014

Not without hacking the core of JIRA.

When an issue goes through a create cycle, the process is: check permissions, do interaction with user, check input (including all mandatory fields, which always includes summary), then post-functions last.

You'll note that post-functions happen AFTER validation.  So what you've done is failing simply because you'd need to set the summary before the validation happens, which you can't do.

The closest you can get is an (ugly) javascript hack to default the summary before the users commit anything.

Suggest an answer