How to pass custom field value from one issue to all other issues in a different project?

Wolf-Daniel Mayer December 19, 2021

My situation is the following:

1. James (issue) is in Software-Developer (project).

2. Software-Developer (issue) is in Microsoft (project).

My Goal:

For James (issue) I try to send an Email with the Job-URL which is stored in Software-Developer (issue)

The only thing that currently connects James (issue) and Software-Developer (issue) is the name of James project which is exactly the same as the name of the Software-Developer (issue).

My approach:

In Jira automation I tried to do a lookup JQL search with a smart-value searching for the {{issue.project.name}} searching for a matching issue to the project the candidate is currently in, accessing the custom field in the Software-Developer (issue) with the Job-URL value. The problem is, that I can't use this smart-values in the lookup JQL search.

summary ~ {{issue.project.name}}

Does anyone has a different idea on how to filter for the exact job-issue and accessing the Job-URL value to integrate it in an Email?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2021

Hi @Wolf-Daniel Mayer -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you mean when you note: "I can't use this smart-values in the lookup JQL search"?  What do you observe happening in your rule and the audit log when you try this?

To confirm your use case, are you able to do what you want manually, writing a JQL query to return what you need, if you take the place of the automation with your own actions?

Please note: what you are trying to do spans different projects, and so will require a global/multi-project scope automation rule.  There are limits to the number of executions per month for global/multi-project rules based upon your license level.  Please check with your site admin to learn more about such limits.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer