How to pass an argument to a web panel via the URL?

Anja Kleebaum September 18, 2018

We develop a JIRA plugin that adds a new web panel and web item to JIRA. We use the JIRA version 7.11.1. The code and some screenshots of our JIRA plugin can be found here:

https://github.com/cures-hub/cures-condec-jira

We want to add a page to the general view of JIRA. This is the current view using a web-panel:

example_radargrammetry

The atlassian-plugin.xml looks like this:

<web-item name="Link to the ConDec Plug-in in Side Bar" key="side-bar-link"
        section="jira.project.sidebar.plugins.navigation" weight="1000">
        <description>Provides the "Decision Knowledge" link to the plug-in page in the project's navigation side
            bar.
        </description>
        <label>Decision Knowledge</label>
        <param name="iconClass" value="aui-icon aui-icon-small aui-iconfont-decision" />
        <link> /projects/$pathEncodedProjectKey?selectedItem=decisions-page</link>
        <conditions type="AND">
            <condition class="de.uhd.ifi.se.decision.management.jira.config.ActivationCondition">
                <param name="projectKey" value="$pathEncodedProjectKey" />
            </condition>
        </conditions>
    </web-item>
    <web-panel name="ConDec Plug-in Page" key="decisions-page" location="decisions-page">
        <description>
            Provides the plug-in page that developers use to manage decision knowledge.
        </description>
        <resource name="view" type="velocity" location="templates/decisionKnowledgePage.vm" />
    </web-panel>

We want to pass the key of a selected issue to the link/location of the web panel.

It should be possible to reach the web panel via the link

/projects/$pathEncodedProjectKey?selectedItem=decisions-page?elementKey=ANY_ISSUE_KEY

When we append

?elementKey=ANY_ISSUE_KEY

to the link, the page location cannot be found anymore. How can we pass arguments (an issue key) to the web panel via the link URL? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Santwana Sarangi {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2018
Anja Kleebaum September 18, 2018

Hi @Santwana Sarangi {Appfire}, thanks for your reply!

I now replaced the web-panel with a Servlet that renders the velocity template.

I added the following Java code:

public class DecisionKnowledgePageServlet extends HttpServlet {

private static final long serialVersionUID = 5841622939653557805L;
    // private static final Logger LOGGER =
    // LoggerFactory.getLogger(DecisionKnowledgePageServlet.class);

@ComponentImport
    protected TemplateRenderer templateRenderer;

@Inject
    public DecisionKnowledgePageServlet(@ComponentImport TemplateRenderer renderer) {
        super();
        this.templateRenderer = renderer;
    }

@Override
    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
        response.setContentType("text/html;charset=utf-8");

String projectKey = request.getParameter("projectKey");
        String elementKey = request.getParameter("elementKey");

AbstractPersistenceStrategy strategy = StrategyProvider.getPersistenceStrategy(projectKey);
        DecisionKnowledgeElement element = strategy.getDecisionKnowledgeElement(elementKey);

Map<String, Object> velocityParameters = new ConcurrentHashMap<String, Object>();
        velocityParameters.put("projectKey", projectKey);
        velocityParameters.put("elementKey", elementKey);
        velocityParameters.put("elementId", element.getId());

templateRenderer.render("templates/decisionKnowledgePage.vm", velocityParameters, response.getWriter());
    }
}

I added the following to the atlassian-plugin.xml:

<servlet name="Servlet for Decision Knowledge Page" key="servlet-for-decisions-page"
        class="de.uhd.ifi.se.decision.management.jira.view.DecisionKnowledgePageServlet">
        <description>Provides the page that developers use to manage decision knowledge.</description>
        <url-pattern>/decisions-page</url-pattern>
    </servlet>

Now, I can get the elementId in the velocity template file via: $elementId

Great, thank you!

Anja Kleebaum October 13, 2018

I now face the issue that I don't know how to show the side bar on the left side when rendering the velocity template file with the Servlet.

I currently only use this decorator in the velocity template file:

<meta name="decorator" content="atl.general" />

@Santwana Sarangi {Appfire}, do you know which page decorators to use to show the sidebar? Thanks!

I posted this new issue here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Which-page-decorators-show-the-sidebar-in-the-atl-general-view/qaq-p/909348

...and also to the developer community: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/which-page-decorators-show-the-sidebar-in-the-atl-general-view/24440

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events