How to override mandatory fields when creating an issue

Kian Pariwar April 6, 2017

Hi,

I have a complex workflow that has a screen containing lots of fields set as "required".

Now, I need to add 2 more workflow steps directly at the beginning of the workflow, so basically a new initial status when creating an issue.

The challenge I am now facing however, is that for the creation screen a reduced set of fields is necessary not containing the mandatory fields that are required to be mandatory after two workflow steps.

I tried creating a seperate screen for issue creation but as expected, after clicking "create" it tells me that all of those mandatory fields that are not part of the screen need to be populated.

any idea, how I can solve this situation?

Regards

Kian

1 answer

1 vote
vrgl2 April 6, 2017

For your situation, instead of marking those fields as required in the Field Configuration Scheme, I would use a workflow validation on the respective steps.

Look for the Field Required Validator

yeah, i feared that might be the only option.

is there really no other way?

given the amount of required fields and the resulting fact that using validators will not make it visible which fields are mandatory, will cause a lots of inconveniences for our team.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2017

Hi Kian,

if you set a field as mandatory in the field configuration scheme, it is mandatory in every single step of the workflow. 

So, as Virgil said, you have to validate them in your workflow steps. I don't know another way.

vrgl2 April 6, 2017

@Kian Pariwar

the mentioned option offers the posibility to display a message when one of the fields isn't completed. you can use a text like "custom field X is mandatory" that would show up each time the validation fails.

Indeed, you have to add the validation manually for each step that implies those custom fields.

I solved it another way:

I created a seperate issue type with its own workflow, included it in the board alongside the other issues and brief the team to "move" the issue once the first 2 steps are completed.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2017

Tricky workaround :-)

Kian Pariwar April 7, 2017

yeah, but these are the sacrifice someone needs to do to keep out protests and revolts within the team, just because a red star is missing to highlight mandatory fields...

Suggest an answer