How to order by category ?

BarthélémyH July 15, 2014

When creating a complex filter I can filter by category but I don't seem to be able to order by it. Also, in the issue navigator I can't show the column category and thus I can't click on it to order.

How should I do ?

EDIT: please upvote this request : https://alice-daq.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/EXTTOOLS-65

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2014

AFAIK you can't order by project category. Instead of a field which is part of an issue (that can be displayed in a column) the project category is some kind of metadata. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers

BarthélémyH August 13, 2014

You are correct.

It is really a pitty that such a simple feature is missing.

0 votes
Dana Scoggins _CCC_ July 21, 2014

Make sure that for the query you are attempting to run, there isn't a context on the custom field 'Category" that is restricting it from being viewed.

For instance, if the field has a context for a specific project and you are querying on another project that is nott added to the context, the query results will not show the field.

The same applies for issue type contexts. You can check the context by doing the following:

Administration -> Issues -> Custom Fields and check the Available Context(s) column. If you are not a JIRA admin, one of your admins can check for you.

Hope that helps.

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2014

Hi,

Just to have a better understanding... on your complex filter, the category column is among those columns the filter should return?

BarthélémyH July 20, 2014

Hi,

Do you mean that the column "category" should be used in the filter ?

I tried both : to have it in the complex filter ("and category is not null") or not doesn't actually change the fact that I can't "order by category".

Moreover, in both cases I can't add the column "category" to the issue navigator.

I hope it answers your question.

Best regards

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2014

I assume you're talking about a custom field... It doesn't have to be part of your JQL query. You have to make sure, however, that the field is "available" to the query via it's field context.

Cheers

P.S. Is it a new field or a special custom field? Maybe you should try re-indexing...

BarthélémyH July 21, 2014

Sorry, I have not been clear enough. I meant the project category, you know, the categories that you can use to group projects. I agree that it works with custom fields, but it doesn't work for the "category".

Suggest an answer