How to move the status of a parent issue by changing the status for one of the sub-tasks.

Andre March 26, 2019

Hi experts.

I am a freshman and never worked with the JMWE before. But I know that the add-on seems to be the solution.

I have:

Jira Server 7.10.1

JMWE 6.0.0

For you it might be easy but I was even not able to find a solution within the community of somewhere else.

I found something comparable but the explanation is not enough for me. An it is cloud based and therefore not the solution as well.

To come into action I need a very detailed how to guideline or video where it is explained very well.

Target should be to change the status of a User Story by changing their sub-tasks.

• Should subtaskA be IN PROGRESS and subtaskB be TO DO, then the parent issue status should be IN PROGRESS.
  • Should subtaskA be DONE and subtaskB be TO DO, the parent issues should be IN PROGRESS.
  • Should subtaskA be DONE and subtaskB be IN PROGRESS, the parent issues should be IN PROGRESS.
  • Should subtaskA be DONE and subtaskB be DONE, the parent issues should be DONE.

Is there someone out there to help me a bit.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2019

The first thing to remember is that, in Jira, you never modify (set) the Status of an issue, you transition it to the desired status. Which means that you always need a transition from the current status of the issue to the desired status, and that is the transition you trigger to take the issue to the new status. This is true both manually and when you automate things using post-functions.

That said, what you want is this:

1.  on the "Start Progress" transition of the sub-tasks workflow (or shared workflow), you put a "Transition Parent Issue" post-function and configure it to trigger the "Start Progress" transition. This way, any time a sub-tasks goes to "In Progress", the parent issue will be sent to "In Progress" as well (or will stay there if it was already In Progress)
  2.  on the "Done" transition (or whatever you called the transition that takes issues to the "Done" status) of the sub-tasks workflow (or shared workflow), you put a "Transition Parent Issue" post-function and configure it to trigger the "Done" transition. This way, any time a sub-tasks goes to "Done", the parent issue will be sent to "Done" as well. However, since you only want the parent issue to be "Done" when all its sub-tasks are Done, you need the third step below:
  3. on the "Done" transition of the issue workflow (or shared workflow), you add a "Sub-tasks blocking" _Condition_ and select the "Done" status. This way, the Done transition will only work if all sub-tasks are also "Done".
  4. finally, you need to make sure that the "Transition Parent Issue" post-function on the "Done" transition (step 2) is moved to the _bottom_ of the list of post-functions.

Hope this helps,

David

Andre March 28, 2019

Hi David

I tried to do it like I understood from above but unfortunately it doesn´t work. Due to that I added some screenshots to provide more infos about the workflow.

https://we.tl/t-W2HDkGghmk

I took the first transition of the workflow and added there the "Transition Parent Issue" post-function. 

Thank you

Andre

Andre March 28, 2019

hahah, I found the problem.

I always tried to add the transition to the "In Progress" transition of the sub task but like you wrote it has to be the "Start Progress". So the first step works fine now. Tomorrow I will do the other steps and let you know.

Thanks again. It was very helpful and I was on the right way. 

Best

Andre

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2019

Hi @Andre,

welcome to the community. You might want to check out the welcome center to get started here.

I haven't used JMWE before, but if I understand their documentation about Transition parent issue correctly, you can do it with this post function. So, the steps would be:

• add a Transition parent issue post function to the transition of the subtask workflow on which you want to act
  • Specify the transition of your parent task
  • Also check conditional execution & write an expression which checks for your logic, when this transition should actually be executed.

Repeat the steps above for every transition in your subtask workflow on which you want to react.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Andre March 27, 2019

Hi Matthias

Thank you so much for your reply.

To specify the transition is my concern and I do not know how.

Therefore I need help.

Thx

Andre

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2019

@David Fischer - are you able to help?

Like Andre likes this
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2019

Hi Andre,

I will provide more information later today.

Like # people like this
Andre March 27, 2019

so nice thx in advance

Suggest an answer