How to move tasks from Backlog to Selected for development column (if it's not the first column)?

Agata Puchalska December 13, 2021

Hi,

I created a Kanban board and I would like to use the automatic moving of issues from Backlog to Selected for dev column. It's a very useful option.

However, I don't want the "Selected for development" column to be the first one.

I would like to have a "Parked" column on the left with tasks that are started already but parked for some reason (with eg. status "Parked" and "Needs more details") - not to mix them up with backlog issues ready to be moved to "Selected for dev".

Is there any solution for that?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2021

Hi @Agata Puchalska ,

From what I understand, you would like to add another column to park issues before moving to selected for development. If you would like to proceed with this approach, then this is how to go about it: 

1. In the top right corner of your board, click on the board config: 

image.png

2. Here go to Columns and create a new columns menu to the left

3. Add statuses here for 'Parked' and 'Needs More Details'. Also create a new column called 'Parked'

image.png

4. Drag the newly created Parked column to the first position

5. Add the Statuses from unmapped to under the column as shown below

image.png

6. Go back to your board

Your board should now have this configured. 

Hope that helps. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2021

Hi @Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_ 

As a reminder, this approach will alter the "Selected for Development" status/column to be an "in progress" condition, and so alter Jira reporting.  Normally for a team using Kanban that status is not considered in progress.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2021

Hi @Agata Puchalska -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I respectfully suggest another alternative to the solution you note:

• Your team has a workflow, which you are visualizing with the Kanban board
  • Some times, work items (Jira issues) start into progress and then get stuck (which you are calling "parked").
    • This seems to be a temporary or abnormal condition ("parked")
    • But if you add a new column to the board for this, you are indicating this is part of your normal flow, and the team is not incentivized to improve/reduce it
    • Those items are in progress, and removing them from the board may conceal that they are actually work in progress (WIP) that needs help to proceed
  • Instead consider using the Add Flag feature with right-click to mark issues as blocked
    • That will raise visibility that help is needed
    • When the issue is cleared the flag can be removed
  • In the case where work items are no longer valuable due to the blocking, move them off of the board with a comment, either to "done" or as some form of "abandoned".

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Hi @Agata Puchalska ,

Unfortunately, this functionality is a default in Jira Software and there is no way to edit it to my knowledge;

The first column to the left of your Kanban will be the one you can automatically transition your issues to from the Workflow.`

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events