How to move sub-tasks independently to the Parent Task

ShibuyaThreads
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 5, 2024

I have a task containing multiple sub-tasks. These sub-tasks can move on different columns as per their progress level. So, i want them to not remain under parent but be visible in their own status columns.

for eg: TASK1 has Sub-tasks 1,2,3. (WORKFLOW: Backlog --> In Progress --> Done)

TASK1 is in backlog/in-progress. Now Sub-task 1,2 are in In progress and Sub-task 3 is in Done. I want them to be visually TASK1, Sub-task1,2 under In Progress column but the Sub-task3 to be under Done column.

Aim is TASK keep tracks of Sub-tasks here and we can follow thier statuses inidividually as well.

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hello @ShibuyaThreads 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

What is the Type of your project? You can find that information on the View All Projects page under the Projects menu.

If it is a Business (a.k.a Work Management) project then the built-in Board for such projects currently only shows the Subtasks as a group under their parent issue, in the column that matches the parent issue 's status. That board will not show the Subtasks separately in the columns that match their statuses.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hello @ShibuyaThreads 

In reference to your response to @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- you cannot change how Subtasks display in the same column as their parent issue in the built in Board for a Business project.

If you have the Jira Software product also installed and you have been allocated a license for that product, then you can create an Agile Kanban board to display the issues and their Subtasks. In that second board the Subtasks would display in the columns that match their statuses, rather than displaying in the same column as their parent issue.

Like Ihsan Ameen likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The sub-task status is independent of their parent, so they can move into different columns, you just need to move them.

They can even have different workflows to their parent.

What are you seeing with your sub-tasks?  If they are automatically moving columns when their parent moves, then you'll need to talk to your administrators - they have set up an automation or script that is moving the subtasks when the parent is changed.

ShibuyaThreads
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 5, 2024

Yes Nic it's a business template based project that i selected when creating project. I'm administrator actually and where can i possibly find to do that?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events