How to move a project from one JIRA instance to another different JIRA instance?

Eban Tomlinson August 13, 2015

This question has been asked many times before, but the best detailed ones are from 2012, and frankly speaking I'm of the hope that there's a new option out there, so I'll ask it again and populate it with what I've found so far.

Please, let me know if there is another option and I'll edit it into this list in the hopes that this list might help someone else trying to do the same thing I am right now.

So I've been bashing my head off of how to move a complete project with many custom fields which are not needed from an old JIRA instance (6.1, no valid SEN) to our newer server in a different country (latest, with valid SEN).

Keep in mind that we're comfortable removing a lot of custom fields from the source instance, and in fact it's our goal to import as FEW of them as possible.

I've come up with the following options:

1. XML Backup with Project Import (requires a complete setup of matching fields/schemas/users in destination instance)
  2. XML Backup with Project Import AFTER removing a lot of custom fields/schemas/users from Source and renaming some to match Destination
  3. XML Backup with Project Import in combination with Project Configurator, filtering unused custom fields
  4. Brute Force SQL transfer
  5. CSV Export / Import via JIM (prone to errors due to CSV limitations)
  6. JSON Export / Import via JIM (does not export attachments, nor custom fields at this time)
  7. Zapier (doesn't support mapping fields from one to another)
  8. Task Adapter (sadly a very limited amount of field support, no comments or history as near as I can tell)

2 answers

2 votes
Rahul K August 13, 2015

I had used Project Configurator plugin to copy project configuration from one server to another. Works well.

Eban Tomlinson August 14, 2015

Ahh yes, I forgot to add that. Project Configurator is a great option, but it requires you to transfer all configured fields. Though, in thinking about this it's probable I could limit it to 'Custom fields within a project, rather than in global', so this might be a good option too. I'll add it to my list.

José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2016

I would like to add to Rahul's answer that version 2.0 of Project Configurator automates the whole process of moving a project (or a group of them) to another instance. Just a few clicks and you get a zip file at the source instance. Then take that file to the target server, import that file and that's it! The process is described in the plugin's "Getting started guide".

Additionally, there is an export option that limits the exported custom fields to those used by the exported projects. This option has been around for quite a long time now, so Eban's assumption was right.

(DIsclaimer: I lead the team behind Project Configurator)

Like Daniel Alonso likes this
1 vote
Nada mahjoubi December 7, 2017

Hello, 

We are trying to migrate projects from jira cloud instance ( latest version ) to another jira instance (V7.4.2) that already contains data.

I tried the add-on Project configurator but the problem here is that it(s not compatible with the latest version. 

Is there any other way to migrate data without erasing the second instance data?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, 

Suggest an answer