How to move ONLY the remaining sub tasks to new Sprint?

Ratna Bikram Adhikari December 30, 2019

Hello,

How can I move ONLY the remaining sub tasks along with Parent(Story) to new Sprint? When I move Story to new Sprint, it also moves sub tasks that are already completed in earlier Sprint. I think it doesn't look good if you see some tasks are already done at the start of the Sprint.

Thanks!!

1 answer

4 votes
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Hi @Ratna Bikram Adhikari 

A sub-task is part of a parent issue.  That issue should remain open until all the parts of it are complete, so all of it goes into the next sprint if any part of it is incomplete.

If you want to show that these work are completed, an option is to split the story and move the uncompleted sub-tasks to the new story and push it to the next sprint. It is a scope change in essence but you did commit to the story as a whole when the sprint started and hence you are answerable for the scope change!

Sub-tasks belongs to the story and are not counted against the sprint. Stories belongs to sprints and they are either completed or not completed.

Sushruth Sastry September 5, 2023

I am a little late to this thread but I have a similar issue with strong reason - I have stories that, by design, must span several months. But my sprint is only 2 weeks long (that works for 80% of all my stories). I have this setup because different pieces of work related to the same story as it goes through different phases at different progressions of the product for me.

Assuming that I do have a genuine case to view some of the sub-tasks of a story in a new sprint, what is your best suggestion for me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The first sentence in @Ganesh Babu 's answer is the whole thing in scrum (and most of the other methodologies that fit well with Agile)

You say:

"I have stories that, by design, must span several months. But my sprint is only 2 weeks long"

The grumpy/purist part of me wants to be Agile - if a story does not fit within a sprint, then it needs to be either broken up into several stories or promoted to an Epic with many stories within it.  Stories should always be small enough to fit in a sprint, always.  Epics can persist for years.

A sub-task is just a fragment of a story/issue.  Don't estimate or try to track them outside the dev team, they really ar just for the dev team to do a bit of breakdown.

Reza Khan September 17, 2023

Breaking stories to fit in a board? Agile manifesto has nothing to do with breaking a story. If you have to break a story, would it remain A story? It is a broken piece of a story. Yes for JIRA limitation you may have to do it. Such a bad way. However, you then have to consider using Epic as Story, and then you will end up with broken terminologies. 

Anyways, I have to yet see a agile team and process that works with proper tooling, dev workflow of agile. It is always 'modified' Agile to your need. Go ahead and re-invent your team and orgs workflow taking knowledge from everywhere and do it your own. :) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2023

You are mixing up Agile with Scrum there.  Scrum is a way of working that fits in very well with Agile, but it is not the same thing.

Scrum does require you to split stories when they're too big for a sprint.  The whole point is that a sprint delivers something, and that can't happen if your stories do not fit.

There's no breaking of terminologies, agile or scrum processes here, other than the waterfall failure of "expect a story to roll over" - that's the main failure.

Like Natalia Andreenko likes this

Suggest an answer