How to monitor team productivity and workload?

Zaine Abaddin September 30, 2019

It seems like a simple question but there is a twist.

I am currently managing a web team of 8 people, 5 developers, 2 graphic designers and an admin. I've just taken on the team a week ago.

Currently for support work they use JIRA, the issue is posted to JIRA (a kanban board) and then it is picked up by 4 out of the 8 guys/girls in the team (admin and 3 of the developers). It is then assigned to themselves but then when work is required from another member of the team, it is (sometimes) assigned to them or sometimes they are simply tagged into the issue. They resolve the issue by working together in this way assigning and tagging each other back and forth and then the issue is marked as "resolved" 

This of-course provides very inaccurate data when i go to, for example, display a chart on the dashboard of how many issues each of the team members have resolved/worked on in the last month and so on.

So this is my first question: I know that the way JIRA is used needs to change/improve in order to acquire more accurate data but from the way it is currently being used can i create any useful charts to show team productivity and workload? (maybe using tags and so on, I don't entirely know how this will work)

Second question: Even If I get all the developers to use JIRA to improve the accuracy of the charts, we still have the graphics designers who take no accountability for the issues but only provide graphics when requested to do so by the developers by tagging them on an issue. How do i monitor their productivity? how much time they've spent on each graphics and so on.

I'm trying to see if i can get the data i need without changing the way they work too much or getting them to spend too much time putting data into JIRA.

Any help/answers/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2019

Have you turned on time tracking? If not check out the link below (sometimes clicking on link causes extra data at the end of the link so you may need to copy/paste link)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-time-tracking-818578858.html 

There are also some plugins that build on the time tracking for reporting. 

Zaine Abaddin October 7, 2019

@Joe Pitt apologies for delay. they are currently using time tracking but I want to move them away from it as I'd rather manage the projects/issues they are working on rather than their time. Also, waiting for a email reply for an hour does not mean they've worked on it for an hour and so the info is not much use to me (yes, this is how they have been currently using it)

I've decided to make them change the way they work with JIRA. They seem happy with that so i guess we should be okay.

Suggest an answer