How to modify or add our custom message in Jira login page.

Manu Mishra May 2, 2018

Hi,

I have a requirement to edit/modify the default message in Jira whenever some enter the wrong username/password. There is by default message "Sorry-your username and password are incorrect - please try again", so basically we want to add our custom message with "hyperlink" below the default message. 
Please let me know if this is possible and how can we achieve this.error message.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2018

Hello Manu,

Details on customizing the login gadget can be found here:

Noting this KB is formatted for jira 6.4 and earlier installation for step 3 in the files to alter, but the main details on kb are the unpacking and repackaging the file.

The Error message you are looking for is located in the *i18n.properties* at the file path of the unpackaged jar, in a  jira 7+ installation under:

• com/atlassian/jira/gadgets/i18n.properties

Tracking this down can be seen in the error call made in the login-gadget.soy file mentioned in the KB

Change the following property to the desired value:

gadget.login.invalidlogin=Sorry, your username and password are incorrect - please try again.

Repackage the .jar package as described in the KB above, and replace the original jar and you should be all set

Manu Mishra May 4, 2018

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon this was very helpful.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Rakesh Sadhula January 13, 2022

Hi @Earl McCutcheon ,
I had unpackaged the jar file, but couldn't found i18n.properties file, My jira version is 8.18. 

Nallareddy Manasa November 1, 2022

Hi @Earl McCutcheon ,

As suggested i have made changes as below and repacked successfully but change is not reflecting on login screen , could you please let me know is there any other file needs to edited to get the changes in login screen.

Before:

gadget.login.invalidcaptcha=Sorry, your userid is required to answer a CAPTCHA question correctly.

After:

gadget.login.invalidcaptcha=Sorry , your username and password are incorrect wait for sometime.

Thanks ,

Nallareddy Manasa

Suggest an answer