It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to modify or add a test step to multiple test cases at the same time?

Here is the scenario

1. We have created many tests (Test Type: Manual) from the user stories

2. Each test contain test steps (Step/Data/Expected Result) and some steps are common across multiple test cases (like Launch browser and navigate to XYZ application or Search for transaction with ID)

3. Some times there is a need to update the test cases based on new requirements/user stories or review comments from the cross-functional teams.

4. Currently we are forced to open each affected test case in a window, go to affected test step, update it, save the changes. Repeat the process for all affected test cases.

5. It is consuming lot of redundant effort and lead to mistakes.

Is there a better way to update the test steps which are common across multiple test cases? Or add a new test step to multiple test cases?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Venkata Praveen

2 answers

Hi Venkata,

Currently you can use the Bulk change to edit the Test Steps of your Tests.
You just need to create and run a JQL to filter the Tests you want to change the Test Steps.
Example:

1. Filter your Tests and do the bulk change (you can also filter by Test Steps using on your JQL the custom field "Manual Test Steps".screenshot001.png
  2. Select your Tests and click on Nextscreenshot002.png
  3. Edit Issuesscreenshot003.png
  4. Edit or add new Test Steps for these Tests -> Click on Next and then the Test Steps should be updated to the selected Testsscreenshot004.png

Best regards,

Xray Team

@Inês_Silva  Does this work in Jira Cloud?  

I tried what you're describing.  But I am not seeing the testing step option once I start the bulk change. 

hi Xray team,  

Is above still the only method to add steps to test case? Or is there any better way out.  I have 1000+ test cases. :( 

Any help is appreciated. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you