How to measure time in status within single transition cycle?

Rado September 12, 2020

I am looking for an option to measure time in status for an item within single transition cycle, also average and summary for a specific field (fixVersion specifically).

Example:

Ticket SAMPLE-100 was moved from 'In Progress' to 'Testing' and back 3 times, until tests were successful and it could be closed. Each time it remained in 'In Progress' 1h (3h in overall), and in 'Testing' 20min (1h in overall). What I currently get with any known Add-on is the measurement showing me the ticket remaining 3h in 'In Progress and 1h in "Testing". What I would like to see is the average 1h in "In progress" and 20min in "Testing" (optimally with option to break down into details, or indication of how many times in status etc)

The reason is I am interested in measuring micro cycles, i.e. time of progressing  the item across statuses, rather then full cycle of getting the task done. 

Do you know any Add-ons to support this?

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2020

Hi @Rado ,

You can use Status Time app. It lists total time in each status along with status count. You can extract the report into csv and get average time in each status by dividing total time to status count in excel.

The app will provide a table similar to the below.

| Issue Key | In Progress | In Testing | #In Progress | #In Testing |
| XX-101 | 180 m | 60m | 3 | 3 |

See the online demo and play with it. Hope it helps.

Rado September 13, 2020

It's by far the best option for now. I would prefer the straight forward solution though, without a need to extract data in spreadsheet and add complex calculations. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 12, 2020

Hi @Rado 

You can try the plugin Issue Tracker for Jira 

It will give the various status cycles right on your issue screen.

Various charts are available to track status and assignee transition

Status Transition Graph.PNG

Status Transition.PNG

Chart.PNG

Rado September 13, 2020

How does it address my requirement? Reviewing the documentation I can't see the way to NOT accumulate time in status, if re-visit the status.

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
September 13, 2020

Hi @Rado 

We realized that we had the data but were not representing it the way you were looking for. We value and appreciate your feedback and have introduced a new version which represents this information in exactly the format you were looking for.

The new version is available on the marketplace.

Please let us know if it meets your requirements.

Thanks

Assignee Transition_New.PNGStatus Transition_new.PNG

Rado September 13, 2020

Looks so promising...! 

I'm using Jira Cloud though...

2 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
September 15, 2020

Hello @Rado 

You can also try  Time in Status for Jira Cloud, which generates 7 types of reports, including Time in Status and Average Time reports.

Time in Status report measures how long an issue has been spending in each status.

Average time report shows how long it takes an issue to move from "Testing" status to "In progress" one.

So you can discover the issue roadmap across statuses easily. And get these reports both in Graph and Chart view.

I hope this info will be helpful.

Best regards, Mariana. 

Rado September 15, 2020

Tried it already. It has lots of useful features, and I really liked the add-on. However, although you collect lots of useful data, my requirement is not supported.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
September 14, 2020

Hello @Rado ,

Our app, Time in Status by OBSS, might help you with this.

Time in Status mainly shows how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee. but currently it reports the total time for each status. Getting status times for each micro-cycle is not directly available but there are some features that migth help you with this.

First of all, there is History Trimming feature. This feature allows you to get reports based on a sub segment (between two given dates) of issue histories. It was mainly designed to report on issues that were active under two different work packages. For example you work on a Task on Sprint1, can't complete it, move it to Sprint2 and you complete the task. You want to see the status durations only for Sprint2 so you set the trim dates for the beginning and end of Sprint two. This way, TiS will show only the times for Sprint2 and will ignore anything before or after that.

If each of your micro-cycles can be boxed into a known date range (like a sprint, a work package or maybe a given week), you can use History Trimming feature to report on that. On the other hand, if each your issues has its own non-defined micro-cycles, then History Trim wouldn't be much of a use, I have to admit.

It also worth mentioning that Time in Status also contains a Status Count report. This report shows how many times each status was used for an issue. You can combine the output of Status Duration and Status Count reports (in your spreadsheet app of choice) and get the average durations for each issue's micro-cycles. I know it is manual work but at least it provides a workaround.

You can find Time in Status at the link below, if you want to have a look:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

Best regards,

EmreT

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
December 7, 2021

Hello @Rado

I have got very good news for you.

(I know this is an old post we answered before and I've already informed you through your support request but let me leave the news here for those following this post.)

With this week's update, we released Multi Visit Behavior selection for Status Duration reports.

Up until today, when a status was visited multiple times by an issue, Time in Status was showing the total duration of those visits. The new Multi Visit option allows the user to get the First, Last, Total or Average visit time for each status.

I hope this helps with your case.

Best regards,

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events