How to measure jira tickets per person?

Andrew Chung October 22, 2019

Is there a way to use JQL to find out if a team member is moving a jira issue from sprint to sprint to avoid doing work?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hi Andrew,

The location this data is stored is in the issue history tab of the issue, so individually you can expand the history tab and see what user moved an issue to a new sprint, however there is not an option to search against the history via JQL for the sprint field using the WAS operator as the Sprint field stores multiple sprint values for all sprints an issue was in, rather than a single item replacing the previous value for the new.  As once issues are associated to a sprint they are always associated to that sprint unless the value is manually deleted from the sprint field which is actually a practice recomend in this scenario(But this will also still show up in the issue history, only more difficult to locate).

So this os going to be a two part operation and some manual review to get the data you're looking for.  First, you need to identify issues in the active or future sprint with something like the following which would show all issues that are current or future sprints, but also were in a previous sprint (note this will not show an issue if the sprint field was cleared manually):

(Sprint in futureSprints() or sprint in openSprints()) and sprint in (closedSprints())

Also if you have a suspected user that you believe may be doing this you could also throw in a updatedBy() function via:

issue in (updatedBy("suspected_user")) AND (Sprint.......

Then you will need to manually review the history items to build out what operations occurred based off that result set, and if the user is making the changes it would show up with something like the following screenshot when an issue is moved to another sprint:

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 5.22.51 PM.png

Also, something that might help out a bit more but will require some custom scripting to accomplish is that you can pull the issue history data from the change-log with the API, and you could review the data on a larger data pull. Check out the following Community Post that gives some examples on calling the change-log:

And the last thing to look at would be if you wanted to dive into the change history database tables I recomend checking out the following Document detailing the table layout and what yo look for:

Regards,
Earl

Andrew Chung October 31, 2019

Hi Earl,

Thank you for the exhaustive detail for doing a query. I found the examples of JQL to be helpful along with the commentary.

Andrew

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out.

I believe the best way to identify if an issue is being moved from Sprint to sprint would be by using the Sprint report and check the section "Issues Removed From Sprint" in the bottom of the report:

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 19.55.12.png 

Changing the Sprint number at the top, you will be able to have a clear view of the issues that are being removed from the Sprint and added to the next one repeatedly.

Let me know if this is the information you are looking for.

Andrew Chung October 31, 2019

Thank you for your reply. Your right this was not what I was looking for. I was more looking for a solution to monitor a person or group with some JQL examples to give me a starting place. To your point though the report is a good place to start looking at what was in the sprint and what was not in the sprint.

Suggest an answer