How to map tasks to a Story?

I am new to Jira and trying to implement simple Scrum:

Epic > User Story > Tasks.

Where the Story has the same workflow as the Tasks.  If one of the Story's tasks in a spring, so is the Story... and when all associated tasks are done, Story is Done.

Actually, in an ideal world I'd have: Epic> Story > Criteria > tasks.

Unfortunately, in all my search, I've only found that Jira supports:

Epics > User Stories > Subtasks

... and these Subtasks don't even show up in the backlog view !!

This seems like obvious functionality that I must be missing... can someone point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

If the answer involves "experience programming"... that's fine. Please tell me what needs to get done and I'll hire someone :).

Thanks,

-Ed

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Ed,

I suggest you to read this thread, maybe it can help you but it isn't what you are asking for:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/epic-vs-story-vs-task/qaq-p/204224

Thanks for the suggested reading.  Yes, creating an Epic from and Epic is possible but no way to relate both Epics to each other unless you do it manually for each Epic, much like how you need to relate a Task to a Story manually for each Task.

Jira seems like an immensely powerful tool with customizable issues, workflows, screen, schemes etc.  but it seems to be falling down flat on its face on this most basic functionality.   And it seems users have been asking for this for years (from articles I have seen in my due-diligence).

What a bummer.

-Ed

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,009 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot