How to manually upgrade Jira from 7.13 to 8.5

Kelvin Tuggle February 17, 2021

I found documentation. But I am new to this product suite.  I'm a strong Linux person.  Before I perform the upgrade, I'm trying to find out how this Environment is configured: database (type and location); applications (confluence, other products); Trying to understand the dependencies and associations.

I know I have to perform a manual install and can really use any documentation that explains the best way to migrate from Jira v7.13 to v8.5.

By the way, my environment is not connected to the public domain.  

Kelvin

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2021

Hi @Kelvin Tuggle

from the answers Laurens already gave I can see you have received many useful and true tips already.

For your question:

Unfortunately I am not clear on "How the Suite of Applications" interact with each other and their dependencies.

This could be split up in a two-sided answer. From a users view each application adds value to the whole picture - Confluence enhances the users's experiencing providing a knowledge base, or a wiki-solution, like some say.
From a technical view, like Laurens said, there are Application Links between the applications. They were invented to let all the applications exchange data between them.

When aiming for an upgrade of, let's say, Jira - or Confluence - they will work afterwards like they did before the upgrade.

One hint that comes to my mind, though:
Assuming Jira and Confluence (or any of the other applications you mentioned, like Bamboo or Bitbucket) can be upgraded independently - however, if they share one database host which is on a specific version make sure this is compatible with the version of the application you want to upgrade to.
In case it is not you will need to upgrade the database version to a supported one first (f.e. PostgreSQL 9.4 -> 11) but then you will need to make sure the "other" applications are still capable of supporting this version number.

This warning does not apply if:

- you are going to upgrade all applications during the same change/downtime
or
- if you have several VMs holding the database each for every application

Apart from that cloning the VM is a great idea, as well as testing in non-production environments first, and finally, having a fall back (backup).

Some more general things wildly picked from your post:

- if you need to put a database driver to 'lib' directory depends on which database you are using (PostgreSQL needs no separate driver, MySQL will)
- it might be also a good idea to backup database before upgrade
- for dependencies a downtime of one application does not mean the other ones fail hard per se, but in case Bamboo is down probably no deployments will be done for that time, so Bitbucket is still operational but not providing a full chain of value this time, when Confluence is down that does not mean that Jira could not work, however users that require information from the knowledgebase cannot solve issues in Jira because they cannot gather the informationen needed to provide answers to customers.
These are just examples but I am sure you get the idea.

- I saw scenarios where the exact times for what needs to be upgraded first was aligned with "end of life" document to be found here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html
Some users prefer to never get into "end of life" situations to make sure they can still receive support from Atlassian - also from a security aspect they prefer supported versions.

Let us know if something is left unclear or does not make sense.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Kelvin,

I always use the installer to upgrade, even on linux.

It works great, shows you the files that have been changed so you can do a back up of those and does most things automatically.

You can find some info here:https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-installer-938846937.html

Keep in mind that you always need to check database compatibility as this changes between LTS versions.

And always test the upgrade in a test environment.

Hope this helps,

Laurens

Kelvin Tuggle February 17, 2021

Hello Lauren.

Thank you for your response.  Your reference is one of many documents that I have been reading.  This instruction set only talks about Jira.  I did find installation/upgrade instructions for Jira Core, Jira Software, Bamboo, Confluence, Bitbucket and Crowd,  but not for FishEye + Crucible. 

Q1.  How are the Atlassian applications (product suite) related to each other and their dependencies?:

Q2. Where is the configuration within each application that tells the application to connect to a database? 

I know for Jira the driver need to be copied into <installation-directory>/lib. 

Q3. How can I find what database Jira and the other applications are using?

Backup ground 

I want  to Upgrade Jira, Crowd, and Confluence to the latest version.

System and Application versions:

Jira Service Desk 3.15.1

Jira Core 7.13.0

Jira Software 7.13.0

Confluence 6.12.0

Bamboo 6.6.3 build 60607

Bitbucket 5.14.1

FishEye + Cricible 4.6.1

Crowd 3.3.0

Database (Still looking for it)

Proposed Method for Upgrading

My intent is to clone each VMs that is running an application and perform the upgrade on these clones.  Unfortunately I am not clear on "How the Suite of Applications"  interact with each other and their dependencies.

Please advise,

Kelvin

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

Kelvin,

Q1: the application connect to each other through Application links.

But Jira Service Desk, Jira Software and Jira Core are the same instance, there you can look under applications to see and upgrade them. (i upgrade Jira software through the installer, this includes jira core and then upgrade jira service desk through the web interface).

Q2: In the install guide of each product you can find how to connect to a database.

For Jira there is a dbconfig.xml file in the home directory that contains the db data, for confluence its in the confluence.cfg.xml file.

Q3: Jira and confluence have a system info page in the admin section where you can see which DB you are running.

Hope this helps,

Laurens

Kelvin Tuggle February 18, 2021

Hello Laurens,

I read documentation that advise using the manual install method.  See below

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/upgrading-from-jira-7-x-to-jira-8-5-results-in-data-base-tables-and-columns-missing-978222133.html

You thoughts from your experience,

Kelvin

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Kelvin,

I have used the installer on all my upgrades from 7.13 to 8.5 but bugs like you mention are the reason to test it in a test environment.

It could always be that installer does not work for your environment, but i had zero issues so far and did quite some upgrades so far (on both linux and windows).

Regards,

Laurens

Suggest an answer