How to manually enter date and time on a custom timestamp field in a Jira Task

John Zittlau June 28, 2021

I've created a custom field on a Jira task that is a Time Stamp

When I'm editing that field on the task, I get a nice popup for the date (or I can enter manually using a format like MM/dd/YYYY (05/15/2021)) and then I get a popup for time that is in 30 minute increments.

I need better time resolution than that for the field (at least down to the minute, the second would be better).

I've tried entering the time in numerous ways, but when I move focus off that field, the time always reverts to what was previously there (or empty)

How can I manually enter data into a timestamp that includes the date and time in a resolution better than 30 minutes?

(as an aside, when doing a CSV import, the timestamps work just fine (although I think only to 1 minute resolution))

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Zittlau July 7, 2021

Thanks all. I figured out my mistake. I was trying to enter both the date and time at the same time. ie. I'd type 05/27/21 04:33.

Didn't realize that the date-time field is actually two fields. I need to enter the date on the left side. And then separately enter the time on the right. Now I can enter time to the minute.

0 votes
Abdeladim EL AOUMARI July 2, 2021

hi @John Zittlau 

There is an open Jira ticket JRACLOUD-76814 to request that the field Date time is displayed as configured in the advanced settings. this problem started after the implementation of the new screen view. Currently date and time configuration depends on the Language selected...

I need better time resolution than that for the field (at least down to the minute, the second would be better).

For the resolution popup is only 30 minute increments, but you should be able to set the time manually for example you can write 04:33

Concerning seconds currently you can't set or view seconds in the view screen. there is an open request to implement it.  please vote and watch this ticket: JRACLOUD-76882

Marcin Jankielewicz July 19, 2021

hi @Abdeladim EL AOUMARI 

I tried to manually change the time to be ex. 03:33 from 03:30 that can be selected but as soon I hit enter it reverts back to the existing value.

Does anybody know if minutes can be changed manually down to specific minutes an not to be selected by 30 minutes increments?

John Zittlau June 30, 2021

Thanks for the response. Sadly, if anything it confuses me further. In advanced settings I have:

jira.date.time.picker.java.format: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

jira.date.time.picker.javascript.format: %e/%b/%y %I:%M %p

Which I believe match as per a note on the page you linked.

When I try entering a date and time in the above format, the timestamp just reverts back to the existing value when I hit enter.

The only format that works so that I can at least change the date is to enter as 05/23/21 for May 23, 2021. Which is MM/dd/yy. So not the format specified.

Out of curiosity, I checked the value of jira.date.picker.java.format (and the javascript equivalent) and that is set to d/MMM/yy which again doesn't match the only format that is working for me.

Suggest an answer