How to manage releases for different countries

Rashmi Ratnani September 15, 2022

We have to launch our product in couple of countries.

For this we have created two releases i.e., one for each country. 

I see that stories can be assigned multiple releases for e.g., 1 story can have Fix Version/s = Country 1 and Country 2. But it doesn't really make much sense for tracking purposes. That story cannot be marked DONE until it has been released to production for both Country 1 and Country 2. That type of tracking is not ideal. 

Is there a better way to track this in Jira or do we simply have to create a duplicate story and assign as follows?

• Story 1 Fix Version/s = Country 1
  • Story 1 Duplicate Fix Version/s = Country 2

Awaiting your response. Thank you. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Rashmi Ratnani

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, a good way to achieve your scenario would be to create a single story for each version/country you have, editing its description according to the country. You can even link the stories from the same type but from multiple countries to a common Epic, so you can categorize and report on the total amount of work you had to finish all those stories globally:

What is an epic?

Another option would be to create only a single release and a single story, using sub-tasks to log work for each country. This would give a more centralized view of tracking, however, some Jira reports do not consider the estimation for specific sub-tasks, so they will return the total amount of work in the parent Story (summing the total estimation of the sub-tasks).

That being said, the best option really depends on how you want to estimate and report your tracking, so I recommend using a sandbox to test both options above and confirm the one that better fits your need:

Manage product sandboxes 

Let us know if this information helps. 

Rashmi Ratnani September 19, 2022

Hi @Petter Gonçalves 

Thanks for your response. 

Using sub-tasks under a single story won't help our scenario. Again, I would run into the problem that I cannot mark a story done when it is released in Country 1. I would have to wait until Country 2 is also released to mark it as done. This is not ideal for us. 

Looks like creating a story for each country is the way to go! :)

Suggest an answer