How to manage multiple teams in one project?

lukaloncar August 21, 2019

My company runs currently 6 different projects. Besides that, we have 8 different teams (backend, frontend, design, marketing, animations, video, management, content)

Let's take only one project for example. How can I create one project, fill its backlog with issues and assign them to different teams? I would like to have different sprint for each team separately, but inside same project. And also I would like to have Project based Kanban board that would hold all issues in one place. 

Shortly, I fill backlog with issues, and then start to assign them to different sprints (based on which team they belong), but also they appear in Kanban board. 

Is this possible? I would appreciate step by step explanation.

3 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
lukaloncar August 26, 2019

Hi everyone, 

I want to thank you for the effort about this problem. Your responses helped a bit, but I managed to create workflow by myself after lots YT clips, and forum posts.

Here is what I did:

- Created project with Scrum board in classic view

- Created one Master Board, and different boards for each team in that project

- Created Component with the name of each team so that I can filter by those components

- Went to each board settings and added filter query by Components, and selected component for each board

- Configured each issue to have Component drop down menu right bellow reporter for smoother experience

- Assigned each issue a component label

This way you have one master backlog, and separate team backlogs. When you start teams sprints, you will see sprints separately on each team board, and one Master sprint on main board.

Hope this helps everyone.

murari tikmani December 9, 2020

We have been using a similar approach. that said, this causes one problem. in the jira backlog, we can do filter based on only version and epic name. so when you create a jira from the jira backlog page, it auto populates version and epic name but doesn't populate component name. Due to this, the issue which you create using "one-liner" jira creation method available at the bottom of backlog, doesn't appear in the backlog after it is created because the "Component" is missing in the jira story created. 

Like # people like this
K Vasavi May 14, 2021

Can you please help with, "one-liner" jira creation method ? what is this method?

Emmanuel Amodeo October 8, 2021

@murari tikmani you can adjust your filter on each board with something like

poject = [project] AND (component = [relevant component for board] OR component is EMPTY?)

it works. I now have separate sprints for each team which are not visible between them and a common backlog (until I assign an issue to a component). Issues with no component (when they are created with the one line quick create) appear in all boards until I assign them a component.

2 votes
Michael Kuhl _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

Hi @lukaloncar - Try using Project Components.  This will allow you to associate each team with a Component.  Then you can set the component(s) on each issue.  You can then configure the filter for each team's board to show only issues that have that team's component assigned to it or use swim-lanes on one board to visually distinguish the different teams work.

Tyler Coil August 21, 2019

This is not a feature of Next-Gen though correct?

lukaloncar August 21, 2019

Can you please tell me this... How can I create different teams?

Michael Kuhl _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

@Tyler Coil - Correct.  You would need to add a custom field with the team names in a next-gen project.

Tyler Coil August 21, 2019

if you do that though, there is no way to filter those cards in the epic/backlog/board views though, correct?

I'm also running into this problem where 3 team members only care about X type of cards, and another 2 only care about Y type. And it seems you can only filter off Epic and Issue Type, which doesn't work for our workflow currently.

Thinking about migrating back to a classic approach, but this question is very relevant to me in the moment 

Michael Kuhl _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2019

I agree you should consider using a classic Jira Software project.  It seems you need the versatility that next-gen doesn't yet support.

John doe October 6, 2020

@lukaloncar  Thanks for sharing your answer. I have similar issue and followed you answer. But I have another questions now. 

With your solution, I created a project and I created one master board which has complete backlog for the project. I also created three boards(filtered with component) for 3 different dev teams. If i start sprint2 in board 2, sprint2 is also getting triggered automatically for the other boards. i wanted to have separate sprints for each team in their respective board that may or may not start and end at the same time. how can i do that?

when i have separate sprints for each board, how to start sprint in master board wrt other boards? how i can see sprint report as whole on master board?

Thanks in Advance

David Sell January 26, 2021

Hey Joe doe,

Did you figure out a solution for your last two questions?

Yoav Ben Arie March 9, 2021

Hey, @John doe I have the same issue, did you succeed in creating several Sprints at a time?

Victor September 9, 2021

We kind off have solve the above mentioned issue similarly to what @lukaloncar  describe. The difference on how we do ours is as follows.

1) We have Project boards and we have Tech Teams for whom we have separate project boards.

2) For projects that involve us using the different tech teams, when we create tickets, we assign them to the different tech teams. Filters in the tech boards pull in any tickets assigned to the a particular tech group to the backlog of that team.

3)So with that, we can start a Project Sprint in the project based board. The sprint then runs in that main Project board. But also, if you go to a tech team having any tickets in the current Project base sprint, that particular project sprint will also appear in the board of the tech team, but showing just tickets relevant to that tech team.

4) You can also create tickets in the Tech team backlog. The tech team backlog will show all created tickets relevant to that Tech team, which are not yet running in any Sprint. You can also start an individual sprint in the tech team board, and pull in any tickets you want from it's backlog, even tickets created in the Project board.

5) If you started a tech team base Sprint in their board, and there is also a sprint in a project group having tickets assigned to the Tech team, you will see both sprints running in the tech team's board. If you go to active sprints, you will get a Scrum board containing all current issues linked to that Tech team. You can also filter to show just a particular Sprint.

Hopefully this helps someone. Might not be perfect, but works for us at the moment.

0 votes
Anand Sanke February 6, 2021

@John Doe, your master board should be kanban for better project management. And your team boards should be scrum. Don't share issues among your team's scrum boards.

Suggest an answer