How to manage multiple assignees on a ticket?

Emma Haley December 1, 2022

Hi,

I would like to be able to assign multiple people to a ticket. For example, the developer is assigned in the default Assignee slot, but I would also like to create an assignee slot for the QA which will work on that ticket too.

I am having a few issues with my current setup:

- It doesn't send email notification to the QA assignee when we add them

- It doesn't show the QA assignee's display picture on the card in the sprint board, it only shows the main assignee

Does anyone have any ideas about how to at least solve the first issue?

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2022

Hi @Emma Haley

Before I continue with my proposal, I would like to share my thought regarding the assignee. I assume that QA can work on the problem after the current assignee (DEV) is finished. I believe that having one assignee is best and proper workflow is the way to go.

With that said, here are some options:

New multiselect field

The assignee cannot be removed from the board view.

• Issue view
    assginees.png
  • Board view
    board.png

Set up:

1. Create a new custom field from the Advanced options: User Picker (multiple users).
  2. Add it to your Issue screen (Optional: Remove Assignee) -> The data will still be there.
  3. Create an automation that sends notifications as needed.
  4. Add your new field to the card layout in the board settings

New single select field

• Issue view
    ticket_QA.png
  • Board view
    QA_Assignee.png

Set up:

1. Create a new custom field from the Standard options: User Picker (single user).
  2. Add it to your Issue screen
  3. Create an automation that sends notifications as needed.
  4. Add your new field to the card layout in the board settings

Automation to send notifications:

For ticket updates:

• Trigger: Field Value changed (select all fields to monitor)
    • Example: "Assignee"/"QA Assignee", Description
  • Action: Send email to Assignee"/"QA Assignee
    • Example:
      • Subject: Issue {{issue.key}} was just updated

For comments:

• Trigger: Issue commented
  • Action: Send email to Assignee"/"QA Assignee
    • Example:
      • Subject: Issue {{issue.key}} was just updated
Emma Haley December 2, 2022

Hi, that all works brilliantly for me. Thank you!

I am wondering, do you know if there's a way to display the users picture next to their name on the board settings too?

And yes I agree with you on your first point - but the idea is we assign the QA to the story so they can start writing test cases before the feature is completed by the dev.

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2022

Hi,

Good to hear this helped you.

I do not know of a way to also display the icon. Nor of a way to hide the default assignee. If you would like a clearer view of what issue is assigned to whom I recommend tinkering around with swimlanes https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-swimlanes/.

Regarding writing test cases. Have you considered creating a QA ticket under the main issue? This can organise your board in a new way.

• Swimlane -> Stories (This shows all issues that have a subtask in a separate swimlane)
Like Emma Haley likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Hello @Emma Haley ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

out of the box Jira support only one Assignee field and which will trigger the notification.

You have created custom user picker, and which is not triggering the notification that's correct Jira doesn't support the functionality out of the box, however you can leverage the Automation rule so that whenever fields are modified then will get notification.

Capture.PNG

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Mayur

Emma Haley December 1, 2022

That's amazingly helpful. I will give this a go, thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events