How to make time tracking mandatory?

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 22, 2020

I need all users to track the time they have spent on tasks but to ensure this, I need time tracking to become a mandatory selection when a user moves the status of a task.

Is this possible to do without needing a plug in?

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hi @Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair 

You need to add "Validators" in your workflow step.

Please check https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-validators

You will need to select 'Field Required Validator' and then select the appropriate field in the next screen.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.49.55 pm.png

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 23, 2020

@Lenin Raj  I cannot seem to find the edit option when opening the workflow. I am using Jira Cloud 

1 vote
Sunpreet.narang October 14, 2022

I am trying to make time tracking a mandatory field, but when I try the steps shared above, on the select field screen, the log work is not available as a field to select. 

Your guidance is appreciated. 

Calum Lynch November 9, 2022

I am having the same problem here.

Log work is an option for "Field has been modified Validator" but not for "Field Required Validator".

I cant understand why this would be the case.

0 votes
bbutler July 3, 2023

Just to add some clarity, you can add time spent or sum of time spent as the field validator. If your goal is to ensure that users are booking time spent, I found that you need to use the sum of time spent for this to work properly. Using time spent failed the validation.

Jira uses the greek symbol to represent Sum instead of the word in the selector.

Serkan Emre ELÇİ August 21, 2023

Hi @bbutler  , thanks ! But the thing is I want to make time logging mandatory for everyone assigned this ticket. For example : 

Step 1 : Dev A assigned the ticket 

Step 2 : Dev A done with the ticket and assigning this ticket to Dev B 

In that scenario, because Dev A logged some time spent, there is a value on sum of time spent now. So Dev B can just send ticket to Test team by updating the status of the ticket without any time logging. 

Do you have a solution suggestion for this ?  

Navraj Sharma August 23, 2023

Awaiting a response on the same.

0 votes
Belma Alagic February 17, 2020

Hi @Lenin Raj I have the same question. I've just added the Validator on transition, published the workflow and tested it. I managed to perform transition without logging time, and didn't receive an error message I've set up to pop up.

I am guessing that this is only possible for the custom Time Spent field, but we just deleted that and incorporated Time Tracking instead.

Is there any way to make Time Tracking (not custom Time Spent) mandatory?

0 votes
Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 23, 2020

@Lenin Raj I cannot seem to find the edit option when opening the workflow. I am using Jira Cloud 

Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

@Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair  You may not have relevant permission to edit I think. Can you ask the project admin? 

Suggest an answer