How to make third party API call in connect apps?

Surya A May 4, 2021

Hai all,

I just tried to create an integration app in JIRA. I have two needs.

1. After installing my application from atlassian marketplace, I need to show custom installation page to get third party portal's username and password for validation. After validation get successful only the user can view other data. I can't ask to fill username and password everytime. So i need to stored it somewhere. Is there any option to store data inside app with secure.

2. How to make third party API calls in connect app. I need to retrieve third party JSON data and show it inside JIRA. Is there any possibility to make an API call from connect app?

Thanks in advance..

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Surya A ,

With Atlassian Connect, your app is responsible for displaying and storing sensitive data. See the Getting Started with Connect guide for an example of an interface. The app itself would need to handle storing the data, as Connect does not provide a secure storage provision (not accessible to users) for data inside Jira. How you go about this depends on what language your Connect app is written in and the service architecture you design for the app's hosting.

For making third party API calls, you'll likely want to do them within the iFrame for your app. This discussion on the Developer Community discusses a strategy for third party API calls in Connect apps.

As an aside, I've mentioned in your other question that Forge might be a good fit for your app. If you do take another look at Forge, here is an example Forge app for reference that makes third-party API calls - the reference app translate Jira issue fields using a third party translation service API.

Cheers,
Daniel

Surya A May 6, 2021

Hai Daniel Eads, 
    Like i told in another issue, if i can publish forge app inside Atlassian maraketplace like connect app then i will surely go with forge app only. Can you please give me the confirmation?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2021

Hi Surya, as mentioned on the other question, the Forge marketplace listing EAP is very similar to the actual experience. Your app goes through a review once submitted for approval, as it would for a Connect app listing. Details are on Listing Forge apps .

Suggest an answer