How to make the comment mandatory when closing a bug issue?

Hi,

I would like to force my users to put a comment on a bug issue when they are closing it or setting the resolution to a specific state such as "cannot reproduce" or "won't fix"

Today, comment is not mandatory so we are missing some information.

Thx

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

you can use comment required validator from Jira Misc Workflow extenstion plugin

https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMWE/Validators#Validators-3-CommentRequiredValidator

Hi,

What about making the comment mandatory not for the transistion but also a specific resolution type. Example: a comment is mandatory when the user "Resolve" an "Open" bug issue and set the resolution to "cannot reproduce".

Cheers,

Raphael

then you need to write validator!!

you can use script runner plugin

check this

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

Timothy Chin Community Champion Sep 29, 2013

You are looking for the Field Required Validator (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities).

you can write a workflow validator as

InvalidInputException e=new InvalidInputException();

String[] comment=(String[])ActionContext.getParameters().get("comment");

if(comment!=null)

{

if(comment[0].isEmpty())

{

e.addError("comments","Comment must be filled");

}

}

if incase resolve:

ActionContext.getParameters().get("resolution");

can we do something similar for satisfaction rating to be mandatory before resolution is set or status is moved to done / resolved / closed? any views?

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 29, 2013

I presume the required comment is for tracking purposes. Rather than doing that, I suggest creating a custom text field named something like 'bug close comment' and making it mandatory at the close transition. That will allow you to easily seach for similar comments for all bugs at time of closing.

Another option is to use the Plugin Workflow Essentials for JIRA - It's not free but also supports to make the comment required on a transition screen.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

54 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you