How to make one custom fields drop values dependent on another custom fields selected value

I have a single select custom field with some dropdown values.Now I want another custom field(Single select) whoes drop down dispaly list change with the change in value of the first field.

How do i achive it?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

Have you tried using a cascading custom field, Arjit?

If that doesn't fulfil your requirement, maybe a javascript to only shows specific values depending on the value of another field.

Maybe this can help

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Displaying+a+Field+Based+on+Another+Field+Selection

Hi Marcus,

I have tried to use cascading filed but the problem is I could not name the second field.Also I have to read the data from second field to be used somwhere else.

How to achieve tthese two conditions?

I think it sums up the requirement. Cascade select list can be an option

Hi,

Can you try the solution below.

<script type="text/javascript">
  source = document.getElementById('customfield_13355');
  if (source) {
      target = document.getElementById('customfield_13750');
      source.onchange=function() {
          if (this.value == 12720) {
                     target.value=12735;
                  }
      }
  }
 </script>

You need to change the customfield ids and the ids of the selection items.

Vijay

I will explain properly:

Consider i have 4 dropdown value(A,B,C,D) for my 1st field and 10 dropdown(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) value for my 2nd.Now if if I select A from first field Second field should show me 1,4,6,8 out of which I cna select any particular. Simalrly for other values also same funcationality applies

Then the option you have is to have Cascaded select list custom field.

This gives you option on what are the dependencies between two select lists.

Vijay

Thanks Vijay and Marcus your inputs helped

Arijit

Hi Arijit, We have a similar requirement and wondering how you implemented this? Can you please explain. Thanks, Venki.

Hi Arijit,

You need to create custom field as Cascaded selecting.Then you can select multiple values using two select list.

Asha

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,861 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot