How to make one Jira project usable for several stakeholder

Benjamin_Wettlaufer September 24, 2019

Hi community!

We use one dedicated Jira project for stakeholder communication. Different markets as well as different brands can create request towards different service units within our organisation. I'm using custom fields for brands, markets (countries) and teams within our organisation. So far, so good. Two things are not really working and I wonder if there is a way or only a plugin for that:

1. Jira provides a time tracking report which is exactly what we need for estimation, but it is not possible to filter it down (via my custom fields anyway) per brand / market / team --> is there a way to achieve this?
  2. Once a task is estimated, we define which team(s) are taking care of the request - ideally the team then get's a notifiction (and not before) even when the status is not changed but I think such events (only because team A or B is chosen via custom field) is not possible right? Maybe, if we would use groups instead?

I'm pretty sure the portfolio add on would solve all of my problems, but I'm looking for other possibilities first. 

P.S. we're using the data center version. 

Best,
Ben

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

No idea for item 1.

For item 2, you are on the right track with groups. Make a group that is the name of the team, and then in your notification policies, you can notify the group(s) specified in the custom field.

Note that you can use a variety of fields you don't have to use a group picker. You can use a text based field and as long as the entry in the field matches the group name you should be ok. (test of course)

Benjamin_Wettlaufer September 24, 2019

Hi Andrew, many things for the fast reply! Also, was not aware that group-names then would work with out inout fields than group picker. I used checkboxes, you think this would work as well?

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

I created a quick test able to select the Checkbox custom field in the "Group Custom Field Value" in the notification policy, so I would think it would work. (though I didn't actually send a notification)

But like all things, you should test it yourself to make sure it behaves correctly.

With group notifications, jira evaluates each member of the group and sends each of them a separate/individual email if they have rights to see the issue. So make sure that all members of the groups have browse access to the project.

Suggest an answer