How to make fields mandatory

Kian Pariwar November 8, 2016

Hi,

I read a lot about making fields mandatory and found 2 ways:

• Set fields to required
  • Set validators in the workflow

I wanted to go down the "required" route but it did not do anything. Therefore I do not understand the point of it at all. E.g. if I set the default field "Due Date" to required, I still can create an issue and leave the due date blank and progress along the board. Am I missing something?

Instead I opted for validators in my workflow, which was pretty extensive work but it works.

Nevertheless, I would like to understand why field configuration does not work. And yes, I created a field configuration and a scheme for it and assigned to the right screen.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Kian

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2016

>And yes, I created a field configuration and a scheme for it and assigned to the right screen.

No, you did not.  Field configurations have nothing to do with screens.  They are grouped together into "field configuration schemes" that associate them with issue types, and then projects use them to determine which field configuration to use for their issues types.

That's what is missing - I doubt you've associated the field configuration correctly.

1 vote
Jonas Fitz November 8, 2016

In a Workflow transition you can set up validators. One of these Validators is that a field needs a value or have to be changed during transition.

0 votes

Hi Jonas,

I know that. That is the second way I opted for and it works fine. 

But I just want to understand the point of field configurations. Everywhere it says in the documentation that in order to make field mandatory I need to set a field to required. but it simply does not work. am i doing something wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2016

Again, check the project settings and scheme.  As you can't associate them with screens, I think you've got that confused.

Like Gino Montanez likes this

sorry, my mistake in wording.

just to be clear:

I defined a custom field, assigned to several issue types (6) and 1 screen.

This field is configured within a field configuration as required. This Configuration is part of a scheme. For testing purposes I only assigned the field configuration within the scheme to 1 of the 6 issue types.

With this setup, setting to required does not do anything.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2016

There's no mention here of using the scheme.  Setting up a scheme is fine, but you have to actually use it.

and how do I use it? I thought I am using it because I assigned a field config within the scheme to an issue type.

Like Ryan Shillington likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2016

Have a look at my original answer again.  It tells you the missing piece.

Kian Pariwar November 9, 2016

you mean the project part? I do not get it... sorry. if it is too difficult to explain, so be it. I have my validation workaround in place. I just hope I won't get into trouble when changes occur that require me to adjust too many things in JIRA.

Like Ryan Shillington likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2016

Yes.  You really need to understand what schemes do if you're going to be a JIRA admin.  (At least until Atlassian replaces them with something else)

You've made yourself a quite heavy maintenance burden on that workflow, and there was a far more simple standard way to do it.

Please, have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/associating-field-behavior-with-issue-types-802592562.html

Like # people like this

thx nic. I know the documentation and I sincerely read it multiple times just to check if I missed something. I understand the concept but it just does not work for me.

I am currently thinking that there might be something configured that overrides the "REQUIRED" setting.

I mean, everything is in place as it should be and it is simply not working. I will dig deeper the coming days as it frustrates me. at lease my workaround is working 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2016

The very first paragraph of that documentation states what you have missed very clearly.  I'm not sure how you have missed it if you've read the docs, or how you've come up with an association to screens that simply isn't there.

A field configuration scheme associates (or "maps") field configurations to issue types in a project.

Nic, my sincerest apologies. As the first paragraphs of the documentation link were boring to me (as I understood it) I seemed to no read the page till the end.

The last paragraph for associating schemes to projects was the solution to my issue! I think I solved it now, as it was assigned to the default scheme and not the new one that I created. Thanks a lot and mostly for your patience wink. appreciated it a lot.

Like Anat Kutner likes this

Suggest an answer