How to make description mandatory in team-managed projects?

Torsten Lenhart April 12, 2023

In team-managed projects, I can make fields mandatory by ticking the "Required" box under Project Settings > Issue Types.

However, this seems to work only for fields I have added and not for standard fields like "description". The checkbox is greyed out in this case:

Screenshot 2023-04-12 165040.png

My question: Is there another way to make "description" mandatory? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

Hello @Torsten Lenhart 

What problem are you trying to solve by requiring data in the Description field?

You could set up a Rule on every transition to require data in the Description field. Unfortunately that rule can't be added to the Create transition, so new issues could be created with no Description. They just couldn't be changed to any other status if you added the rule to every other transition.

You could have an Automation Rule run to check each newly created issue for Description content, and email somebody if one is created without information.

You could also add a Custom Paragraph field, call it something like Required Description, and make that field Required. You can't remove the original Description field though, so it might be confusing having the two fields.

Edrick April 9, 2024

This is a lazy answer. It will just be easier to allow administrators to make the field required

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2024

@Edrick 

How is this answer "lazy"?

Given that what the user wants to do is not supported, I have thoughtfully provided 3 alternatives?

Please note that I am just another user of the Atlassian products. I am not an Atlassian employee. I have no input or control over changing the functionality of the product.

Edrick April 9, 2024

its lazy because the correct approach to deal with the  request, is  to allow administrators to make the field required. Any other approach is just a workaround. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2024

Please notice what I said:

Please note that I am just another user of the Atlassian products. I am not an Atlassian employee. I have no input or control over changing the functionality of the product.

As just another user of the product I have no ability to deal with "requests" to change functionality. I have no power to change the product so that administrators can make a field Required in a Team Managed project. Such requests need to be submitted directly to Atlassian.

This is a community of users trying to help other users use and customize the products in ways that will support their needs. We "work" on our own time to research problems, formulate solutions, and share them with the community. Calling our efforts "lazy" is not going to encourage people to help you when you post your own questions.

For people that want to make product suggestions or contact Atlassian directly, that can be done by product Administrators by submitting a support case at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Edrick April 9, 2024

i get it, Im just frustrated 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events